in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

Current Mediaexperience object is null.. Windows 7

Last post Tue, Jun 4 2013 7:57 PM by dalers. 66 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (67 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Sep 25 2009 7:57 PM

Current Mediaexperience object is null.. Windows 7

I am getting an error in my logs stating thatThe Current Mediaexperience object is null. it should never be null during playback. This is a BUG in the fiji release of media center. I get this error in the log and the addin is not working everytime after the system has gone hours without  being used.

If I stop and restart media center and the commercialskip  add in will work again. 

I am using the msdn version of WIndows 7 ultimate V 6.1.76001

I have the latest commercial skip addin and I have tried multiple version of the toolbox.

uninstalling/ reinstalling has made no improvements

I am trying to find a way without having to keep restarting media center over and over

Any suggestions?

Filed under:
  • Tue, Sep 29 2009 10:04 AM In reply to

Re: Current Mediaexperience object is null.. Windows 7

I am getting the same errors in my logs. I am getting hundreds of these. Please let me know where to look so I can assist in the root cause of this issue.
  • Fri, Oct 2 2009 7:43 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • United Kingdom

Something is broke in MC
  • Fri, Oct 9 2009 12:47 AM In reply to

Yap, I'm having the same issue with 7MC RTM x86.

Do you have any clue where the issue comes from? The errror is logged in a second interval, means every second an event log entry is written polluting the eventlog.

• Mon, Oct 19 2009 10:59 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

I don't know the root cause, just that MC is borked.  I've never seen the problem with 7, but this was the reason why the addin didn't work in Fiji.

During playback the current position is polled every second, which in case creates a error condition every second.

• Tue, Nov 3 2009 4:07 AM In reply to

Just wanted to add that I am getting this error message as well. The description for Event ID 0 from source CommercialSkipAddIn cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer The Current MediaExperience object is null. It should never be null during playback. This is a BUG in the Fiji release of MediaCenter It's generating a lot of these error messages. What to do?
  • Sat, Nov 7 2009 7:19 PM In reply to

This is filling up my log files also in Win7 Pro 64bit... And like everyone else, it correlates with commercial skipping failures. Any idea if MSFT is on the case to fix this bug (which I thought was supposed to be fixed already).
  • Sun, Nov 15 2009 7:51 PM In reply to

• Allen C
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 5 2008

The more the merrier.  Uh, well, maybe not....  Same fun for me too.  Windows 7 Pro x64 with DTB 1.2.2.0, DTBAddin for Win 7 x64 1.0.04, and SA 1.0.51.754.

• Mon, Nov 16 2009 11:03 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

The next spin of the 7 addin will display a dialog if this occurs.

I'm considering filing a bug report w/ ehome, but I will need to get a indication of the impact of this issue.

What do you all think about the addin pinging me (email, hit a web page, etc) when the issue occurs?

• Mon, Nov 16 2009 11:31 AM In reply to

• Allen C
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 5 2008

Appreciate all that you do.  Filing a bug report sounds good.  I'm still in the process of tracking the effects of this issue along with one from SA so I can't speak to full impact yet.  I'm also okay with a report home option using an email or http post.  Would just like to know what is being sent as it goes.

• Mon, Nov 16 2009 12:25 PM In reply to

• djsecrist
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 23 2007
    • Sammamish, WA

I am fine with that.  It might be a good idea to have it be an "opt-in" choice though.

• Mon, Nov 16 2009 4:49 PM In reply to

I'm all for doing whatever it takes to help you solve the problem.
  • Mon, Nov 16 2009 5:03 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

Allen C:

Appreciate all that you do.  Filing a bug report sounds good.  I'm still in the process of tracking the effects of this issue along with one from SA so I can't speak to full impact yet.  I'm also okay with a report home option using an email or http post.  Would just like to know what is being sent as it goes.

Whichever way I go it will be opt-in and the contents transparent; just need to think about how to do it.

• Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:18 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

Try this version (x86 only for now), let me know if you see the dialog and I'll check the page to get a count.

If "Yes" is selected the addin creates a GUID per user and stores it in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\babgvant\DTBAddin to track unique users, and requests a page on this site to increment the instances the error has occured.

Edit - removed download, I need to revise it a bit.

• Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:47 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

OK try this one.  x86 and x64 this time.
Page 1 of 5 (67 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
@2008 andy vt