in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

dvrmstowmvhd "Filter is active" error

Last post Sun, Jun 29 2008 10:27 AM by babgvant. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 20 2008 8:57 PM

dvrmstowmvhd "Filter is active" error

Any thoughts on why this would be erroring out?  I tried rebooting, but that didn't help.  I'm not sure where to look for more details.  DTb is running - do I need to wait till it's done processing a file?  Or did I misunderstand that this can handle DVD sources?

Thanks!

C:\Users\HTPC\Desktop\dvrmstowmvhd>dvrmstowmvhd.exe -i g:\FullDisc\RATATOUILLE\VIDEO_TS -pm 3 -o g:\ratatouille_dtb.wmv
    Current priority class is 0x4000
    Processor affinity is 3
    Set processor affinity to 3
    Added AC3Filter to the graph
    Added MS Mpeg Decoder to the graph
    Add WMWriterFilter to the graph
    Set output file g:\ratatouille_dtb.wmv
    Add DirectSound
    Get Main Title
    Num Titles: 29
    Main Title: 1 Chapters: 32
    HR=-2147220987 Error: This operation cannot be performed because the filter is active.

• Fri, May 23 2008 11:27 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • United Kingdom

Re: dvrmstowmvhd "Filter is active" error

try specifying a profile.  automatic profile generation doesn't work reliably with non-hd sources. 

• Tue, Jun 10 2008 1:46 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

did specifying a profile fix the problem?
  • Tue, Jun 10 2008 5:59 PM In reply to

I haven't had a chance to try it.  I use TMpegEnc 4 to do DVD encoding, so I was just trying this on a movie that it choked on (Ratatouillie).

• Mon, Jun 16 2008 8:23 PM In reply to

Hi Andy!

I'm getting the same "Filter is active" error when trying to convert a DVD.  I used the -p flag to spoecify a profile, and I'm getting:

Num Titles: 33
    Main Title: 19 Chapters: 34
    HR=-1072886856 Error: The input media format is invalid.

There's a very very good chance that the profile I created is not correct.  Can you give some tips on what the profile should be or post a .prx file I can test with?  Thanks as always!

Also, forgot to mention, I'm running against a DVD with AnyDVD running.  Could that create an issue?

• Tue, Jun 17 2008 6:51 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

I don't know about andvd interaction, I always rip then convert.

Attached is a full res profile, for lower res (i.e. ppc or zune use one of the profiles included in dtb). 

• Tue, Jun 17 2008 1:16 PM In reply to

HI Andy,

Thanks for the reply.  Weird, but it's still NG.  Here's what's happening:

C:\dvrms2wmvhd>dvrmstowmvhd.exe -i c:\dvrms2wmvhd\video_ts -o c:\dvrms2wmvhd\The
    Simpsons.wmv -p c:\dvrms2wmvhd\vbrNTSCWMAPro\vbrNTSCWMAPro.prx
    DVRMStoWMVHD 1.0.1.0
    Current priority class is 0x4000
    Added AC3Filter to the graph
    Added MS Mpeg Decoder to the graph
    Add WMWriterFilter to the graph
    Set output file c:\dvrms2wmvhd\TheSimpsons.wmv
    Load Profile c:\dvrms2wmvhd\vbrNTSCWMAPro\vbrNTSCWMAPro.prx
    Profile loaded
    Add DirectSound
    Get Main Title
    Num Titles: 33
    Main Title: 19 Chapters: 34
    HR=-1072886856 Error: The input media format is invalid.

I copied the video_ts directory local under c:\dvrms2wmvhd to remove any AnyDVD issues.  I did not do a rip of the DVD to a local folder, though, just copied it.  Do you think that doing a rip would make a difference?

Thanks again!

• Tue, Jun 17 2008 1:41 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

it will only work on unencrypted video_ts folders.

• Tue, Jun 17 2008 6:04 PM In reply to

Right.  And AnyDVD runs "blocker" for the OS, unencrypting it, enabling me to copy the entire Video_ts directory from the DVD as if it were unencrypter.  I'll try doing a rip to the hard drive using DVD decrypter tonight and see what happens and let you know.

• Tue, Jun 17 2008 8:31 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

that's slick, I didn't know that's how anydvd worked.  maybe it's messing with playback somehow; video_ts folders are converted by setting the folder as the playback location for the dvd navigator filter and "playing" the file as it normally would if you were viewing it, just into the custom wmv writer filter instead of the VMR and audio renderer.

if you're familar with graphedit, you can try using the -g option to make the app publish the conversion graph to the rot.  then you can take a look at what the media types are.

• Wed, Jun 18 2008 3:58 PM In reply to

Yeah, AnyDVD is a very very cool app, and essential in my eyes for maintaining my DVD library in a ripped format.

I did not get a chance to just rip the DVD using DVD Decryptor yet.  I'm getting everything ready for a trip we're taking for the next week, transferring a bunch of movies onto a portable drive.  Seeing as we're going to be gone for 8 days, it'll be nice to have some entertainment for those downtime moments, ya know?

I've been using Skibit's process for encoding to wmv with 5.1 sound (http://www.skibit.org/) and it works well, but takes forever to process!  I wanted to give your app a shot and see if I could shorten the time to at least under 15 hours.  However, for right now, I've got to get these ripped onto the drive.  When I get back I'll work with you on troubleshooting this.

If you get a chance, grab a demo copy of AnyDVD just to screw around with it.  I found it to be well worth the purchase price.  Especially now that it can unencrypt BluRay DVDs. 

• Mon, Jun 23 2008 5:24 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

If I was doing the BR thing I would have to consider it.  The current set of free tools meets my needs with conventional DVDs.

I haven't done any full scale DVD -> wmv conversions (I use this feature to convert for my PPC); using the cbrPPC.prx the convert time is pretty quick using a q6600.

• Mon, Jun 23 2008 5:30 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

babgvant:

"I haven't done any"

should have been "many".  I didn't note how long it took but I don't think it took anywhere close to 15 hours...

• Tue, Jun 24 2008 7:00 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

Ran a test last night using the profile attached earlier.  A 94 min movie converted in around 100 min.
  • Sun, Jun 29 2008 10:27 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

onlydarksets:

HR=-2147220987 Error: This operation cannot be performed because the filter is active.

Fixed.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
@2008 andy vt