in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

Can it default to get DTS-HD or TrueHD audio on a rip ?

Last post Sat, Apr 9 2016 2:47 PM by DavidinCT. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Mar 11 2016 5:51 AM

Can it default to get DTS-HD or TrueHD audio on a rip ?

I tried 2.21, I ripped a Blu-ray and HD-DVD (still have some to rip), and both came with 2.0/Stereo audio. I am sure I am doing something wrong. How can I make sure it rips with the HD audio sound track ?

• Fri, Mar 11 2016 7:42 AM In reply to

Re: Can it default to get DTS-HD or TrueHD audio on a rip ?

Are you compressing it or just ripping it? If you are just ripping it without compression then all of the audio tracks will be included in the MKV. It will depend on your player whether or not you can default/switch audio tracks.
  • Tue, Mar 15 2016 5:26 AM In reply to

markterborg:
    Are you compressing it or just ripping it? If you are just ripping it without compression then all of the audio tracks will be included in the MKV. It will depend on your player whether or not you can default/switch audio tracks.

I was thinking about trying to compress some movies (kids movies that wont be watched as much). I only want the HD audio tracks ripped. Is it possable if I use compression ? 

• Thu, Mar 17 2016 7:40 AM In reply to

Ok, I have been doing some tests with it before I start having it put movies directly in my movie directory.

I tested with a Bad Boys Blu-ray disc I have, this disk has TrueHD auto on it(tested a few others but, this is a prime example) 

1. Direct RIP to MKV, It kept all audio tracks, so the default was the TrueHD audio, worked good but, at 28.5gb, it's too much for how much I will watch this movie (and starting to get low on space anyway).

2. Setup a new profile, set Audio area to High profile. Set compression (with handbrake 0.9.5, with your 0.9.5 patch that was on your skydrive). Ripped the same move, set it to 15gb in size.  Ripped movie fine, after movie was ripped off disc, it started compression (took like 4 hours). 

Result:  file was comressed to 7.9gb (a little much but, ok for test), audio that was extracted was AAC 2.0 (default) and DTS 5.1 with NO true audio track.

So when I compress a movie, I want to to NOT compress the audio track and provide me with everything just like a non-compressed rip to MVK (full audio).

I've done some tests, and a 25gb movie and a compressed to about 12-15gb, it's really hard to see a differnce on my 65" 4K tv... so I am ok with it for some movies but, really great movies (Avatar, star wars, etc), I dont compress.

Know how I can do this on a compressed video ? 

• Sat, Apr 9 2016 2:47 PM In reply to

Bump ! Does anyone know using compression with this program, can I keep the 100% original audio tracks ? As every attempt Using "High profile" will compress the video AND the Audio (losing the HD audio track) Or is it possible, after MAKEMKV has done it's rip, I can run a script BEFORE the compression and one RIGHT AFTER before it's called completed. I was figuring I could use MKVmerge to Extract the audio files and let the compression process then use it again to put them BACK. Is this possible ? I love this program (too bad I got into it too late) but, this HD audio is a make or break thing for me if I want to use compression.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
@2008 andy vt