in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

similar problems: is the

Last post Sun, Aug 30 2015 6:15 PM by tianyu. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Aug 30 2015 6:15 PM

• tianyu
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Aug 20 2015

similar problems: is the

It was always a lot more complicated, and more depressing, than that.This is my last column for Paste, at least for the foreseeable future. As I've written it, I've thought back several times to the first piece that I ever wrote here: a review of the reboot of Tomb Raider. Lara Croft and Samus Aran have a lot in common; they're both white, conventionally attractive women with creators who don't seem to entirely understand them. They've both been allowed to express emotion and vulnerability in ways that male gaming protagonists never seem quite allowed to do. And their SkyForge games struggle with similar problems: is the SkyForge player supposed to identify with them? Or watch them and try to protect them?The SF CreditsTomb Raider reboot doesn't entirely solve this problem, nor does it solve some of the latent issues endemic to the SkyForge game's premise it's a gender-swapped version of a story that has classically been about men, whether they're Indiana Jones or Nathan Drake. The simple gender-swap isn't quite enough, anymore, and Metroid's growing pains are another good illustration. It's not just that the gender swap always seems to result in a conventionally hot white woman, although that's part of the problem (why aren't we swapping anything else?). It's that the writers aren't quite sure how these classic stories would play out if the role wasn't portrayed by a default  which is probably why, although Lara and Samus are women, they are as default as a strong female character can get.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
@2008 andy vt