in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

DVRMSToolbox failing to run Comskip all of the sudden

Last post Thu, Apr 17 2014 6:42 AM by assplats. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 26 2014 8:33 PM

DVRMSToolbox failing to run Comskip all of the sudden

I'm on Windows 8.1 Pro, and have been using DVRMSToolbox for the last 2 years just fine with comskip. Now all of the sudden, I see DVRMSToolbox (the latest early access version and 1.2.2.6) creating the vih file and then not running comskip. I can run comskip manually and it works just fine, nothing changed with either pieces of software.

Looking through the FWLogs, I'm noticing this error now:

Comskip scan failed: Invalid namespace

A little more logging info:
    Queue file
    Duration = 00:47:01.0541594
    Waiting for available worker: 3/22/2014 9:45 PM
    Worker allocated: 3/22/2014 9:45 PM
    Get Video Information
    1920x1080 : 1920x1080 ATSC=True
    Duration = 00:00:00.3426448
    Scan with Comskip
    Getting MetaData
    Use Comskip
    Comskip scan failed: Invalid namespace
    Action did not complete successfully
    Total Duration = 00:47:02.4404046

Please help. I've been banging my head trying to figure out what has changed or why it's doing this. Could it be a c++ redistributable issue? Sometimes new games will put the latest and greatest, but that really should have no effect.

Thanks!
    Filed under:
  • Fri, Mar 28 2014 5:18 PM In reply to

Re: DVRMSToolbox failing to run Comskip all of the sudden

Also, I've reinstalled DVRMSToolbox and the error still persists.
  • Sun, Mar 30 2014 9:07 AM In reply to

All right, well, just in case someone stumbles over this thread and wonders how I fixed the issue:

I moved to Dirmon2. At first I was concerned it wouldn't be able to have different profiles for different channels, but it can. You just create a default profile as a catch-all that just looks for wtv. Keep that one with no priority boost and tell it to ignore premium channels by putting something like _STRZ and then _SHO in the ignore section (I include the underscore so there is no mistaking it is matching the channel portion of the file name). Then create specialize profile for single channels (or multiple) and give them a priority boost of 20 or so.

When Dirmon2 does a double match on a file, the one with the highest priority will when and the other will fall off when it goes to run.

I have 3 types of profiles.

1, Default that catches anything
    2. A profile that call Comskip with an ini that uses logos for determining commercials. This is used for 5 different channels for me. I use it when default doesn't work well.
    3. Specific channel profiles that call comskip with special per-channel tuned ini.

Hope this helps anyone who stumbles over it. DVRMStoolbox served me well in the past, but it's much more complicated code than Dirmon2 and so it has more of a chance to break. Dirmon2 hasn't been updated since 2006, but as of today still works on Windows 8.1. I still greatly appreciate all the work and effort in DVRMSToolbox, and I still use DTBaddin (I've customized the code) for the actual commercial skipping,
  • Wed, Apr 9 2014 5:34 PM In reply to

I can't get the Dirmon service to install/start in 8.1. Another headache in the move from 7. Any suggestions? Thanks. Michael
  • Wed, Apr 9 2014 5:41 PM In reply to

Make sure you run the Dirmon program as an administrator.
  • Fri, Apr 11 2014 5:13 AM In reply to

Thank you. That worked!
  • Fri, Apr 11 2014 5:24 AM In reply to

Awesome! Glad to hear it. Enjoy and I hope it works out well for you.
  • Thu, Apr 17 2014 6:29 AM In reply to

I should add, I found the Dirmon2 suggestion helpful too. I wasn't using Comskip, but I was trying to call a similar command in my DVRMSToolbox file watcher workflow and was getting an "Illegal characters in path" error, even though the exact command displayed in the log worked perfectly on the command prompt. See my thread here: http://babgvant.com/forums/t/4982.aspx Anyhoo, Dirmon2 looks to be an adequate substitute (actually seems easier since I am not using the advanced profiles in DVRMSToolbox anyway). Catching up on some commercial detection right now (and will still use the DTBaddin to actually skip them, of course).
  • Thu, Apr 17 2014 6:42 AM In reply to

Happy to hear it helped

Just for anyone wondering about advanced profiles in Dirmon2: I did use a good amount of advanced profiles in MSDVRToolbox, and I was concerned that Dirmon2 would not be able to do this functionality. However, it can. You just use the priority system as well as exclusion and more specific rules. For instance, if I have a default catchall "profile" in dirmon2 that grabs all WTV files, but I need a specific profile for NGHDTV, I would create a profile that looks for _HGHDTV_ in the file name and then add _HGHDTV_ to the exception list on the default profile.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
@2008 andy vt