in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

Windows 8

Last post 03-04-2014 12:48 PM by cugolfer33. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-11-2012 10:48 AM

Windows 8

I just installed the consumer preview of Windows 8 (64bit) and I was trying to follow the lifehacker guide here: http://lifehacker.com/5490091/how-to-skip-commercials-in-windows-7-media-center for skipping commercials on media center, which worked great when I was running windows 7. However now DTBaddin will not install as it says its not designed for the version of media center on my computer. Is there something I can do about this? Installing in compatibility is not an option as, there is no option for windows 7 on the drop down menu.

Thanks

• 03-12-2012 6:44 AM In reply to

Re: Windows 8

• 03-12-2012 7:51 AM In reply to

Thanks! However I can't seem to download the file linked to in that thread, when I click download it says I don't have permissions to perform that action.

• 03-12-2012 8:00 AM In reply to

It's probably early access only.  You can read about that in the wiki.
  • 11-23-2012 8:24 PM In reply to

• RayWoo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-28-2009
    • Las Vegas

Andy,

I just want to share my displeasure with you in regards to releasing the Windows 8 version of your software.  For the simple fact that you don't want to let everyone "try" your beta version for Windows 8 unless we have "early access", makes me not want to use your software at all.  Yes, I understand you will ban me from this site, but what is the point of even having an account with the site if we can't even try your software.  

Not too impressed with Windows 8 as there was no commercial skip application.  Media Browser was a hack and still there is an error message that pops up at the time of launching the program.  The nail in the coffin is no access to Haali in the latest version of Shark Codecs.  With that said, I will stay with Windows 7 indefinitely for my Media Center requirements.

I thought I would share my rant as at least you could have softened the blow to the disappointment of Media Center 8.

Yours Truly,

Ray

• 11-29-2012 6:13 AM In reply to

Rant away, but...

1. Why should SW be free? Did MS give you a free copy of W8?
    2. All of the SW I host here is free (as in beer and/or as in speach), but it's up to me how I release, when I release, and the rules around all of that. If you don't like it; thanks for your feedback. You are entitled to an opinion, I just ask that you think a little about the foundations of that opinion. Do they have a logically sound basis, or is it just driven by some ill conceived sense of entitlement?
    3. DTB & the DTBAddin are FOSS, if you don't want to meet the [very low] bar for EA access, DL the code from SVN and compile it. Done.
    4. It's not my job to make W8 suck less for you. I haven't installed it and I don't know if I will. The W8 addin is EA because I haven't tested it, and frankly EA keeps the request count down for something I'm not ready to support.
    5. Adults can handle criticism, I cannot recall a time when I've stifled speech here - even when borderline ad hominem. Assuming that someone will ban you because you have a critical opinion is an odd stance to take, next time maybe let someone prove their inability to handle it before assuming that they aren't capable.
  • 11-29-2012 7:20 AM In reply to

• RayWoo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-28-2009
    • Las Vegas

1.  No, but it is an operating system.  DVRSMSTOOLBOX is a free APP. 

2.  I appreciate everything you have done with the software and it's not that I am unappreciative, but was hoping to test Windows 8 and MCE seeing how there is only a limited time for free licenses as MCE will be an additional charge after 2/1/13. 

3.  I guess I could compile.  What is the link to the source code?  I just want to embrace the latest and greatest not be stuck on a platform like most of the jokers still running XP.

4.  What OS do you run, I am curious? 

5.  I just wanted to get your attention and my hope was that you would release the software.  I know my criticism is probably counterintuitive, but take it as a compliment that your software not running on Windows 8, is the main reason I went back to Windows 7 for my Media Center.  It is a deal breaker.  When I posted I was just frustrated with the hours spent re-installing W8 and having to resort back to W7.

Keep up the great work.

Ray

• 11-29-2012 7:44 AM In reply to

1. Yes, free as in speach. I provide binaries as a matter of convenience. That said, I really don't understand the disconnect here. Your basis for complaining about the lack of free (as in beer) W8 binary, is the existence of a free (as in beer) W7 binary? How about instead of that, you think about it as DTB binaries aren't free (as in beer), but I automatically discount the versions I feel like? There doesn't need to be a free as in beer rev of DTB for anything (in fact there doesn't need to be a public rev of DTB) - you have it turned around conceptually.
    2. We all make choices. Choices have consequences. That is a natural artifact. It is unreasonable to bind others to the consequences of your choices.
    3. The link is on the home page.
    4. 7, and until recently I wasn't even using WMC on my HTPC.
    5. Not going to happen until I get a chance to test it. No commitments on when that will be.
  • 11-29-2012 8:25 AM In reply to

• RayWoo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-28-2009
    • Las Vegas

Andy,

I want to be productive, so that being said I will compile and test in a W8 environment.  In the repository I see the DBTAddin which I can download as a tarball and compile. What about the DVRMSTOOLBOX application?  Where can I find the latest revision of that package in the repository? I don't see it there. Can you please let me know?

Once I test I will post the results.

Thanks,

Ray

• 11-29-2012 8:39 AM In reply to

If you follow the link on the home page (http://babgvant.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/babgvant/) it takes you to the SVN repository. Both DTB and the DTBAddin are there at the same level.

To compile, you will need to generate a SNK and update the registration details w. the public key from it. Also, there are some non-OSS binaries required and not in SVN. They can be extracted from the MSI.

• 12-02-2012 10:26 PM In reply to

Hey guys, any luck with this? I just got Windows 8 up and running on two machines, so I'm definitely willing to help out with testing. (BTW, I get "Access Denied" when I try to download the add-in from the link above)
  • 12-04-2012 1:48 AM In reply to

I just donated to get early access, but I suppse it must be verified or something?

• 12-04-2012 6:21 AM In reply to

From the EA Wiki:

Q. I made a donation, when will I be added to the Early Access group?
    A. I usually process the requests within a few hours, but give me a day before reminding me.  This is just a hobby, so sometime things like work and family get in the way ;)

• 12-07-2012 11:19 AM In reply to

• RayWoo
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-28-2009
    • Las Vegas

Andy,

Can I compile with the latest version Visual Studio?  If not which compiler would you recommend?  I am finally finding time myself to create the binary.

Please let me know and thanks for all your help.

Ray

• 12-07-2012 11:27 AM In reply to

It's currently a vs2008 project, so that will be easiest. I'm planning to change that soon to vs2012, but they removed support for setup projects so I need to figure out the best approach to dealing with that first.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
@2008 andy vt