in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

WTV to MKV (no commercials-SAV1)????

Last post Fri, Jul 25 2014 1:54 AM by winiehappy. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 24 2011 11:53 AM

• tedbone
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 3 2007
    • TX

WTV to MKV (no commercials-SAV1)????

I've read through a bazillion pages, forums and whatnot. Tried DVMST, MCeBuddy, MC-TVconverter to name a few. I'd like to convert my Win7 (WTV) recordings to commercial-free MKV files. I've tried to convert WTV-DVRMS (that works with DTB), but when I want to cut out the commercials and splice it back to a dvrms (or MKV) i get errors. It's annoying b/c when i tet out profiles DVRMSToolboxGUI processes it all (takes 45min-1hr) and then says it cant do it. I understand the hick-ups with wtv files-I can even get auto-skip to work on wtv files, and I know can go around it by changing it to dvrms, but getting a truly commercial-free video file is all I want. Is there a simple cut & dry profile to do this? I've tried Abuttino's SpaceSaver Version D, but it doesn't seem to be a one-stop solution- I need it completely automated. I use WTVMeta reanamer to rename and sort all my WTV files to my DAS, so I would assume I could just scan that directory for wtv files and convert to dvrms, scan fr comms, cut out comms, splice it back together as dvrms (or mkv if possible). If I can at least produce a comm-cut dvrms file I could at least then run MC TVconverter to do the rest. Please help me out experts.
    Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Jan 5 2012 1:46 PM In reply to

Re: WTV to MKV (no commercials-SAV1)????

Bump!

There is a serious lack of info on this and I'm sure someone has it worked out.

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 2:49 PM In reply to

• tedbone
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • TX

I've downloaded Marvin's custom WTV-WMV profile http://babgvant.com/forums/t/4357.aspx and have tweaked it to convert WTV into a spliced DVR-MS. This is hit or miss (sometimes I get an error saying that the file is in use, but I think it's because its an OTA recording that has interference in it).

I went a step further and added the ability to delete the original WTV (that works) but now I end up with a dvrms file that has a weird, long name. I've tried to go further and convert to MKV, but I've only successfuly done this once, and it takes FOREVERrrrrrrr - understandibly it was a 5 gig WTV.

I could almost live with the results of the DVRMS file, but the final name my dvrms's are geting is awful. I already have my WTV files neatly renamed and sorted in directories, so my thinking is to run DTB on my entire TV folder and scan for WTV files, cut commercials, splice a new commercial-free dvrms (keep the original name), then delet the WTV.
    I could then have MCTV converter come in and scan my directory for dvr-ms files and convert to MKV (which does a great job). MCTV converter converts to many other formats as well, and can watch a folder (& sub directories) and will leave the final output file in the original folder and delete the original too. MCTV Converter will detect commercials, but I think for comskip (not SAV1 - ShowAnalyzer)

I'd like to only use DTB, b/c it can theoretically do this, but I don't have the time or brainpower to tweak it like a pro. (I've been fiddling with HTPC's since 2005.)

I'll tweak my profile a bit more and then post it. We can have some experts review it, and then share it with the world. how 'bout that? :)

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 2:50 PM In reply to

• tedbone
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • TX

(deleted - triple post)

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 2:51 PM In reply to

• tedbone
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • TX

Sorry for the triple post. I don't know what was going on!

• Fri, Jan 13 2012 2:55 AM In reply to

Hmmm.....if memory serves that profile already deleted the original .wtv file as part of it's process....

If you run that profile (un-modified) on an existing recording you should find you that end up with only one file left, something like this;

1976-04-23 - Giliigan finds a monkey

That is to say, airdate - epsiode name.wmv I did do some successful converts to .mkv but only on a test basis but it was very reliable so I would think just changing out the section that does the conversion to .wmv in favor of .mkv would be all that's required. In fact, I think I actually modified that profile to do just that at one point.

I don't understand why you're having issues with file deletion. I'd go back to the stock profile I posted, re-run it on a worthless recording and see if you only end up with one file left over (a .wmv file that's renamed with the airdate - episode name) If so, then your changes have messed it up ;-)

For instance, it already deletes everything except the processed .wtv file and you mentioned that you tweaked it so that it creates a cut dvrms-file. It already did that as part of the process. It cuts the commercials out of the file and then converts it to .wmv. As part of that process it writes out a cut dvrm-ms file. It sounds to me like you're re-creating the functionality that already existed in the profile as posted.

The nice thing about that profile is that it really can serve as the foundation to just about anything. In your case, it should be just as simple as changing out the section that converts to .wmv in favor of .mkv - the rest of the profile should be left alone and you shouldn't have to add steps to delete files as they are all already there....

Btw, you shouldn't need to run MCTV converter as the toolbox does all of that stuff anyway. The toolbox is pretty much a one-stop shop when it comes to processing files (provided you have a commercial detection app such as comskip).

I'd go back and re-read the post because I mentioned in it exactly how the profile works, step by step, so that the end user could understand the process :-)

• Fri, Jan 13 2012 11:18 AM In reply to

Great info guys, can't wait till I have time to sit down and fiddle with this.

• Fri, Jan 13 2012 2:46 PM In reply to

Thank you sirpilsofd - that profile was the product of several years of refinement on my part and it started out with version 1.1.0.8 of the toolbox on XP. Andy's probably laughing right now because he could probably have put it together in just a few minutes but I've never seen anyone create it before (which always surprised me as I thought everyone would need it).

I still had the profile I was using for conversion to .mkv in the toolbox (as I suspected, it's the exact same profile with just one action changed) so I'll post that up in the profiles section in case anyone wants to convert to .mkv (like the original poster!)

Be advised though, I think the reason I abandoned it was because you loose all the metadata that you get with .wmv

I'm going on memory but I'm pretty sure that when you view a file in Media Center that's in .mkv you get no information on it at all other then the title (which in this case would be airdate - episode title.mkv) so I never liked it but I do recall that it always worked - there was no reliability issues with converting to .mkv

When you convert to .wmv you get more/less full-blown native metadata which means in Media Center you'll see program description if you hit the More Info button. In addition, you can easily change the transcoding settings when you use .wmv just by editing the vbrntsc.prx file (so you can adjust the resolution from very coarse (small file size) right up to full on VC-1 Blu-Ray quality (larger file size) and everywhere in between.

I did have some intermittent issues with the conversion process to .wmv stalling but Andy mentioned in a recent post that he solved that in a new release? I didn't really understand his answer (over my head) but he felt it had been addressed so conversion to .wmv should work fine with the latest toolbox release.

At any rate, I'll post up the .mkv version and if anyone takes the time to compare the two profiles you'll see that the difference between the two profiles is just one action :-)

I no longer use Show Analyzer. Over the years Comskip has improved to such a degree that there really is no reason to use SA anymore - but that's just my thoughts. The nice thing about the toolbox is that you can actually run Show Analyzer .0.9.7, Show Analyzer 1.x and Comskip - all at the same time - and call either one of them on a per-profile basis if you like. I did this for a while during testing before I became convinced that SA was not worth it anymore and narrowed my focus down to comskip.

It might be an idea to keep any/all questions about this profile in that thread (http://babgvant.com/forums/t/4357.aspx) as I'm subscribed to that thread :-)

• Tue, Jan 17 2012 3:36 PM In reply to

• tedbone
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • TX

Awesome..I'll get into this in more detail in the post you mentioned. THANKS!
  • Tue, Feb 21 2012 11:48 AM In reply to

• tedbone
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • TX

What I am testing now is Comskip (early release) to find commercials in WTV files. Then have MC-TVConverter2 watch my recorded TV directory and convert wtv to mkv. This worked the first time I tried it. MC-TVConverter2 works with ComSkip only. It was worth the $10. Hell, If this continues to work flawlessly I'm donating a little to DTB and MC-TVC2 as well. You/these guys are great!
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 3:25 PM In reply to

I recently ended up ditching the toolbox altogether (gasp!) and switching over to VAP (free) with VideoRedo (not free).

I came across VAP (VideoRedo Auto-Processor) in my travels, tested it out, found LOTS of problems with it, contacted the author and he came in and fixed each and every issue, typically within an hour of my posting it. This went on for about a week until it was stable/mature. The author is VERY interested in perfecting the product and wants accurate feedback.

As a result, VAP's become very reliable (it's a GUI-based replacement for DVRMS-Toolbox) that still uses Comskip and then feeds all files through VideoRedo for processing. It does this automatically (that's what VAP does)

The one possible deal-breaker for some is the cost of the VideoRedo program. On the other hand, it really is a one-stop program for editing video on the whole (other then just processing DVR recordings) so I went for it. At $100 it saved me from spending hour after fruitless hour on the toolbox. When I looked at it that way, it's actually really cheap - all my DVR file processing issues are finally over.

It's been cool, I've been working with the author of VAP to help perfect/improve it, also with Eric over at ComSkip to help improve that, and with the authors of VideoRedo to help improve it's support of the .vprj files with regard to ComSkip processing (which they have done).

It's all coming together into a nice tight package. I've already processed half a terabyte of recordings through VAP/ComSkip/VideoRedo with nary a glitch and choosing a different output format (such as .mkv or MP4 or whatever) is as simple as using a drop-down box. Plus, I now have the ability to do QSF scans on every recording prior to processing which makes for some nice tight compliant recordings.

This marks a bit of a sad day for me as I've been running the toolbox for about 5 years now along with all 3 versions of Show Analyzer. I've now narrowed everything down to just Comskip, VAP and VideoRedo. It's doing frame accurate cutting of H.264 .WTV files without remuxing basically as fast as my hard drive will spin.

At any rate, I'd like to thank Andy for his help over the years and I am sorry to be leaving the toolbox behind but VAP has kind of made it unnecessary. This really might be the end of an era, and that's sad. For a long time the toolbox was IT :-)

• Thu, Feb 23 2012 12:31 PM In reply to

• tedbone
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • TX

Wow! I'm testing this VAP-VRD set-up out right now, and I must say that for $95 it could be worth it. Heck it even comes with Ad-Detection. I too am a long-time user of the toolobox, ShowAnalyzer. I just switched over to ComSkip early release and it's like everything stopped working with DTB. I have spent hours of my life trying to develop my own profiles or drawing diagrams on how to process a WTV into an MP4/ MKV file and so on. So far I've processed 2 shows, used the built-in commercial detection and the results were great. What surprises me is that I've heard almost nothing of this. Sure, spending $95 on video conversion software is not that attractive, but the fact that the set it and forget it mentality really does work with this. It also might be a sad day for me and DTB. I love this HTPC community, and am always grateful for its support.

Marvin, can you point me in the direction to where I can find out how to sort processed tv shown into folder using VAP? I currently have it set to change the file name by using metadata.

• Thu, Feb 23 2012 1:05 PM In reply to

I'm pretty fond of using Comskip and the limited testing I've done with their native detection was, well, there's just no polite way to put it :-)

So for me it's ComSkip but that's in keeping with my philosophy that people should stick with what they know best.

With respect to crashing, that's because there's a mis-match between the .vprj files created by comskip and the .vprj files used by VideoRedo. At present, Comskip generates an 'old style' .vprj file and VideoRedo coughs when it sees it. I've liased with both Erik and the VideoRedo crew and both have agreed to fix it. On the VideoRedo front their next beta will include code that will allow the stripped-down .vprj file that Comskip creates. So the code has been written, it just needs to be released.

As a work-around, what I'm doing is this, I'm using VideoRedo version 4.20.6.619 - it works most of the time without issue along with version .023 of ComSkip (still the best until the new bugs get fixed). For right now, that's the recipe for success.

It really is easy to use but what 'sold' me on VAP was that it didn't even work until I started contacting the author. The minute I properly documented an issue he went and fixed it, usualy within an hour. Over the span of an intense 2 short days he cased every complaint I had and the result was a very tight piece of software.

To answer your question, go into advanced configuration and enter this in the first box;

C:\Users\Public\Videos\{title}\{year}-{month}-{day} - {eptitle}

enter this in the second box;

C:\Users\Public\Videos\Movies\{title} - {year}

and your series recordings (or one off's) will go into their own directory renamed by airdate and episode and your movies will go into a Movies directory renamed by title and year of release.

So, the three key takeways here are the version of VideoRedo, the version of Comskip and the variables above, and, of course, configuring it to use ComSkip. I also recommend checking the QSF box as this does a quikc fix on your recordings to ensure they are truly standards compliant before processing.

The key thing for me was that every time I brought up an issue, the author responded quickly. He wants it to be perfect and he's willing to work with a user with valid issues to make it so.

In the near future VideoRedo will release the next beta that will incorporate the .vprj code fix and I suspect Erik at ComSkip will do the same as he's been advised about it and now knows the exact .vprj format to use. From that point forward a person should be able to use the latest VideoRedo release along with Comskip with a minimum of issues.

• Thu, Feb 23 2012 1:08 PM In reply to

I just posted a reply (it's under moderation again) but if it helps, one thing about the cost of VideoRedo is to remember that it's actually much more then just the processing engine for DVR recordings. It's original design was to be the be all and end all of video editing so it's not just for processing DVR files.

• Sun, Feb 26 2012 8:08 AM In reply to

• tedbone
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • TX

marvin-miller , thanks for all the great input. It will come in handy for my 14-day trial period. So far I am pleased with the Ad-Scan's performance, and might wait for the new ComSkip and VRD-VAP to be released when I decide to switch to Comskip. To get back on topic: I originally wanted to convert wtv to wtv (commercial free), but think that MP4 still might be the best choice (streming to ipads/iphones, androids, xbox, other W7 MC boxes). Can a WTV converted H.264 MP4 retain the surround sound (AC3 - i think)? I see that VAP has this as an output format, and if I play the output MP4 with VLC the codec info reads: Stream 1 - A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52). My ears aren't good enough to detect the difference between the original wtv audio and the mp4 (I guess thats either a good or bad thing ;) )
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
@2008 andy vt