in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

DVRMStoMPEGGUI processes MKV to WTV, filewatcher does not?

Last post Wed, Aug 8 2012 6:00 AM by babgvant. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 12 2011 7:04 PM

• miles267
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 28 2010
    • NW Arkansas

DVRMStoMPEGGUI processes MKV to WTV, filewatcher does not?

I've installed the latest DVRMSToolbox 1.2.2.2.  Am able to successfully process individual MKV files to WTV when initiated through the GUI using command line options: -wtv -v (-v to complete and exit gracefully without hanging up).  However when I drop the same file into my watched folder \watched, it processes and is moved to my \recorded tv folder only it stutters upon playback.  What, if anything, does todvrms.exe do differently when launched via the UI?  I only have Matroska Haali Splitter installed under Win 7 x64 and no other codec packs.  Shark 007 was previously installed (both x86 and x64), but have since removed them to rule out any codec conflicts.  Thanks in advance for your help!

• Thu, Jan 13 2011 5:31 AM In reply to

Re: DVRMStoMPEGGUI processes MKV to WTV, filewatcher does not?

It shouldn't be any different.  Are you using run external to call toDVRMS in your "\recroded tv" folder process?

• Thu, Jan 13 2011 6:58 AM In reply to

• miles267
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • NW Arkansas

sccrgoalie1:

It shouldn't be any different.  Are you using run external to call toDVRMS in your "\recroded tv" folder process?

sccrgoalie1 - sorry, am not sure I understand your question.  I currently have DVRMSToolbox filewatcher set to scan both my \tvtemp and \recordedtv folders.  \tvtemp is where files are placed in MKV format to be converted using the 'convert mkv to wtv' profile.  \recorded tv is where wtv files reside simply to be fed to showanalyzer for commercial scanning.

I am able to successfully drop a .mkv file into \tvtemp. and the 'convert mkv to wtv' profile executes (command line of -wtv -v), the tvdb.org data is found (an thus an xml is generated alongside the mkv).  after the mkv is converted to an wtv, my 'convert mkv to wtv' profile deletes the input file (in this case the mkv) and moves the resulting .wtv output to \recorded tv.  this has worked for me in the past on another system though perhaps I am overlooking something obvious?

the good news is that the mkv is being converted to wtv as expected (automatically) however the resulting wtv stutters and upon hitting FF/RW  immediately audio and video fall out of sync (and never recover) or after allowing the wtv to play it will ultimately begin stuttering.

If instead I manually launch the GUI and select input (mkv file) and output file locations and the 'convert mkv to wtv and click RUN, the process kicks off and completes normally and the resulting wtv is PERFECT.

• Thu, Jan 13 2011 11:18 AM In reply to

Sorry, I have no idea.  That's really weird.  It run's the exact same way for each of those methods you mention, so it doesn't make any sense that they would produce different output.

• Sun, Jan 16 2011 12:23 PM In reply to

• miles267
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • NW Arkansas

Finally SOLVED problem should anyone else encounter it.  Not documented on any forum.

1.) I have a SSD OS drive (Win7 x64) and 2 TB WD HDD for recordings

2.) Had created a symbolic link to Temprec folder on the HDD to point the live tv buffer to the C:SSD OS drive

3.) appears when todvrms.exe attempted to process a mkv file to wtv using the SSD drive it consistently created a stuttering WTV output file

4.) when I used the todvrms GUI and the same MKV file was processed entirely on the HDD, no stutter occurred

Solution: remove symbolic link so live tv buffer remained on the non-SSD HDD.  Move the DVRMSToolbox temp folder to the HDD also.  Now any file dropped into the watch folder is detected, converted from mkv to wtv and there's no stutter whatsoever.  Took much trial and error but hope this saves someone else.

• Sat, Jul 21 2012 11:50 PM In reply to

OMG this worked! Thank you!
    miles267:

Finally SOLVED problem should anyone else encounter it.  Not documented on any forum.

1.) I have a SSD OS drive (Win7 x64) and 2 TB WD HDD for recordings

2.) Had created a symbolic link to Temprec folder on the HDD to point the live tv buffer to the C:SSD OS drive

3.) appears when todvrms.exe attempted to process a mkv file to wtv using the SSD drive it consistently created a stuttering WTV output file

4.) when I used the todvrms GUI and the same MKV file was processed entirely on the HDD, no stutter occurred

Solution: remove symbolic link so live tv buffer remained on the non-SSD HDD.  Move the DVRMSToolbox temp folder to the HDD also.  Now any file dropped into the watch folder is detected, converted from mkv to wtv and there's no stutter whatsoever.  Took much trial and error but hope this saves someone else.

I have been searching for the cause of this for months. My setup involves AutoRip N Compress using MakeMKV and then uncompressed WTV. Had the stupid stutter problem start showing up a few months ago (sometime after I switched to SSD and needed to re-locate the Temp directory to another drive). Moving the Temp directory back to the C:\ drive solved the issue. Now I just wish I hadn't spent the last few months ripping DVDs that will need to be re-ripped.
  • Wed, Aug 8 2012 6:00 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 3 2006
    • United Kingdom

miles267:

Consumer grade SSDs do not have the necessary write longevity (remember video is mostly uncompressible data) to use them for recorded TV.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
@2008 andy vt