in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

"File is being used by another Process" - Cut commercials out of dvrms

Last post Wed, Oct 6 2010 4:05 PM by sccrgoalie1. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 3 2010 4:18 PM

• JO792
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 3 2010

"File is being used by another Process" - Cut commercials out of dvrms

I get a "File is being used by another Process" error with any profile that calls the 'Cut Commercials out of DVRMS' addin (Durrant.Plugins.cutcommercialsoutofdvrms).

The process (almost) successfully splices the show, but it never fully completes. This error happens after 100% but before the completion.

Consequently the dvrms file is either

1. doesn't generate since the profile is cancelled (due to the error)

or

2. If I check the 'continue on fail box' on the cutdvrms task  - then the resulting file is not actually complete. It will play, and it does have the commercials removed, but the filename has a registry key-like key string of numbers and letters after it.  And I can't run any other processes on it, (I have tried to add a rename on the profile log below, but because it can't find the previous output file as the input file', so that didn't work)

The last time I see this error being discussed was like 5 years ago, and apparently a .dll was changed and so that shouldn't be the problem anymore.

I saw another suggestion about throttle settings. I have tried to change these but I don't really understand if I'm changing that correctly. Instead of 'use default' I put 60 and 60 in the wait and poll times, but it didn't help the error.

I've also seen people mention adding a delay. But if I add a delay to process, it just adds the delay before it starts the cutdvrms task. (I think it needs a delay between the 100% step and when it goes to remove that registry key string deal from the end of the file name. I don't know if it's possible to add a delay for that in somewhere).

Oh and I've also double checked that file watcher is not running or showanalyzer's file service. So that is not the problem

Here is my most recent log, with the 'continue on fail' and save output settings checked, the resultant file is: Adventures in Babysitting5fb8a770-f809-4e9e-bc45-37bc3dd9ccd2.dvr-ms

(And just fyi the example here is not a movie. It's tv show; not sure if that's a factor or not just mentioning it)

Can anyone give me an idea of what I might try to get this working? Thanks!

---LOG --- [My Comments in Bold & brackets]

InputFile=Y:\Convert\Adventures in Babysitting - DVRMS.dvr-ms
    Processing actions, this may take some time!!
    Current Affinity: 255 System Mask: 255
    Getting MetaData
    Run Profile = -TEST
    ProcessId = 2264
    DvrmsToolbox Version: 1.2.2.2
    Throttle DVRMStoMPEG
    FWThrottle: Y:\Convert\Adventures in Babysitting - DVRMS.dvr-ms
    WaitTime: 60 PollTime
    Waiting to process file
    Queue file
    Duration = 00:00:01.0160582
    Waiting for available worker: 10/3/2010 6:12 PM
    Worker allocated: 10/3/2010 6:12 PM
    Find Commercials in file
    Commercials xml file exists
    Duration = 00:00:00.0070004
    Write commercial spans as xml
    Write Commercials: Y:\Recorded TV\Adventures in Babysitting - DVRMS.xml
    Duration = 00:00:00.0090005
    Cut commercials out of DVR-MS file
    ValidateOutputPath
    OutputFile = Y:\Convert\CUT Adventures in Babysitting.dvr-ms
    Duration = 1795.683
    Span created - 0, 545.411533
    Span created - 811.3105, 1463.995867
    Skip Span - 1796.427967, 1796.461333
    Span created - 1674.0724, 1795.683
    OutputFile=Y:\Convert\CUT Adventures in Babysitting5fb8a770-f809-4e9e-bc45-37bc3dd9ccd2.dvr-ms
    Begin splice
    .45%
    .91%
    [..... etc. etc.]

99.49%
    100%

End Splice
    The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    Duration = 00:03:49.5891318

[It would normally end here, but I checked continue on fail and save output, so I do have a file a resulting spliced file this point: 'CUT Adventures in Babysitting5fb8a770-f809-4e9e-bc45-37bc3dd9ccd2.dvr-ms' ]

Rename file in Context["OutputFile"]
    Could not find file 'Y:\Convert\CUT Adventures in Babysitting.dvr-ms'.
    Action did not complete successfully

[The above 3 lines are where I tried to rename the resulting file but that didn't work. Was worth a shot :) ]

Total Duration = 00:03:50.6271911

--END LOG --

Any help is appreciated. Thx!

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 10:11 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 3 2006
    • United Kingdom

Re: "File is being used by another Process" - Cut commercials out of dvrms

This usually indicates a problem with the file.  How are you getting the DVR-MS?
  • Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:20 AM In reply to

• JO792
    • Not Ranked

In windows 7 (x64)  right click  'convert to dvr-ms'.

Originally they were .wtv files. They are not copywright protected though.

It also happens when using the scripts from abuttino, however those call the built in windows procedure I think, so they're created the same way.

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 11:30 AM In reply to

You could try using the DTBVideoEditor to create a profile to remove commericals from a WTV file and convert to MPG.  You will need to install AVIVO to do this.  If you want you could them remux then back to wtv if you like using toDVRMS.  If you need help setting this up let me know.

• Tue, Oct 5 2010 6:43 PM In reply to

• JO792
    • Not Ranked

That sounds promising? Is there a way to do that automatically?

Also regarding the filetype comment, perhaps I should try using todvrms for the conversion instead of wtvconverter.exe from the windows folder. I'll give that shot.

• Wed, Oct 6 2010 4:05 PM In reply to

See attached profile.  Copy to your %ProgramFiles\DVRMSToolbox\Profiles folder.  Should work already, but at a minimum be a good starting point.  It will take in a wtv file and output a wtv file.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
@2008 andy vt