in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

MCE Add-in 1.1.0.8 not working on MCE with DTB 1.2.2.2-R4

Last post Sun, Sep 26 2010 11:54 AM by babgvant. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 16 2010 1:46 PM

    • karpana
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 16 2010

    MCE Add-in 1.1.0.8 not working on MCE with DTB 1.2.2.2-R4

    Due to issues with my television service provider (Bell TV in Canada), who insists on marking all televison shows such that they are all copy-protected, I have been unable to commercial skip under Windows 7 Media Center.  Of late, my service provider has also started marking all recorded shows as "valid for only 2 days", I have been unable to watch any recorded show for the past 2 weeks.  It was for this reason that I have built a new XP MCE 2005 workstation as a dedicated recording machine.

    Being one of the brave few, I have decided to install DVRMSToolbox V1.2.2.2-R4 on XP MCE, (yes, yes, I know it's not intended for use on XP MCE) but thus far all of the recording functions, along with file watching and commercial marking functions are working fantastic.  I have now been at the point of trying to get the MCE Add-in to work to no avail.

     I realize that the configuration I am using is probably not completely supported, however the fact that the MCE add-in is provided as stand-alone specifically mentioning that this is for those brave enough to install the Vista version of DTB (1.2.x.x) and use MCE.

    I've been following the instructions on trouble shooting comercial skip, and have come up short on step 4, since none of the four listed file are found in c:\windows\assembly.  I've followed the recommend/porposed corrective/remedial action and have uninstalled-reinstalled V1.2.2.2-R4, but these files are still not appearing.

    I can attest that the MCE Add-in is "starting", sine I have information event log messages to the effect:

    User: Media_Center
    Initialize Registry Settings, CommercialSkip Version 1.1.0.8
    NumberOfProcessors = 4
    AutoReloadSettings = True
    WriteOnMceStateChangeEvents = True
    SkipBoxMinMinutes = 0
    SkipDisplayType = Classic
    SkipMaxMinutes = 65535
    AutoSkip = False
    WriteEvents = True
    PromptScan = Prompt
    KeyHandleDisableTime = 30
    DisableAutoSkipOnBack = True
    DisableKey = D1
    ForwardKey = Right
    BackKey = Left
    SkipOnKey = Down
    SkipOffKey = Down
    CCToggle = D2
    KeepDisplayActive = False
    SuppressNotFound = False
    WolMac = System.String[
    WakeExperience = System.String[
    ReprocessShow = D4


    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    However, immediately after this event log message, 

    User: Media_Center
    Unable to launch. System.Exception: Could not initialize MceState
       at babgVant.MediaCenter.MceState.MceStateConsumer.MceState..ctor()
       at babgVant.MediaCenter.CommercialSkipAddIn.CommercialSkip.Microsoft.MediaCenter.AddIn.IAddInEntryPoint.Launch(AddInHost host)

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

     

    My initial guess/thoughts are that because the 4 assemblies/DLLs (specifically mcestate.dll based on the error message) are missing from the GAC (c:\windows\assembly), the initialization of the add-in is failing.

     

    How do I go about getting these installed so that I can get the MCE Add-in working on this new workstation, since everything else (including marking of commercials and creation of xml files) is working fabulously.

     


    Thanks,

    Paul

  • Fri, Sep 24 2010 11:17 AM In reply to

    • babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • United Kingdom

    Re: MCE Add-in 1.1.0.8 not working on MCE with DTB 1.2.2.2-R4

    You are right about the root cause.  If the dlls aren't in the addin MSI you can get them from the full rev of DTB for xp and put MceStateConsumer, MceStateInterfaces and MemMapFile in the gac.  Then run "regasm mcestate.dll / codebase" and add

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D9FEC5A0-0295-43F3-B4F8-E4E07A9F9FC7}\Implemented Categories\{FCB0C2A3-9747-4c95-9d02-820AFEDEF13F}]

    to the registry.

  • Sun, Sep 26 2010 11:36 AM In reply to

    • karpana
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 16 2010

    Re: MCE Add-in 1.1.0.8 not working on MCE with DTB 1.2.2.2-R4

    Thank you babgvant!

    Apart from trying to find a way to extract all the files from the DTB1.1.0.8 package, and a minor typo in the regasm command line (see below), this is now working fabulously!

     The regasm command line that I had to use was, (specifically the space between slash and codebase)

     

    "C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm.exe" "c:\program files\dvrmstoolbox\mcestate.dll" /codebase



    Hopefully this thread helps others that may be interested in using DTB1.2.2.2-R4 on MCE, as I have had to...

     

  • Sun, Sep 26 2010 11:54 AM In reply to

    • babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • United Kingdom

    Re: MCE Add-in 1.1.0.8 not working on MCE with DTB 1.2.2.2-R4

    Thanks for the update and sorry for the typo.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
@2008 andy vt
Powered by Community Server (Non-Commercial Edition), by Telligent Systems