in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

Need Clarkdale advice

Last post Thu, Jun 3 2010 9:14 AM by woolooloo. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 28 2010 8:23 AM

Need Clarkdale advice

Andy, as the Clarkdale HTPC guru, could you give me some advice? I'm going to use one with a Ceton cablecard tuner build that (unfortunately since I have Time Warner) is going to have protected content that I will lose if I later upgrade the processor. So I want to make sure I start out with something I will be happy with.

Ceton 4 tuner, HDHR 2 tuner ATSC, Comskip (one at a time), Blurays, h.264 MKVs. That's about all I'll be doing with the box. Do you think I'll be happy with the performance of an i3-530, or do you think I'll need the extra juice of say an i5-660?

Thanks!

• Thu, Jun 3 2010 7:18 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • United Kingdom

Re: Need Clarkdale advice

Sorry for the delay - been slacking :)

The main difference will be a how long commerical scanning takes, and the i3's HSF is quiet enough that you won't need to replace it.  If you can wait I'd save the $ and spend it on an SSD.  Putting a V series Kingston in my main HTPC was the biggest performance-you-can-feel since moving from single to dual core.

• Thu, Jun 3 2010 9:14 AM In reply to

Re: Need Clarkdale advice

No problem, I tend to slack myself. I've already got an SSD (Vertex) for the boot drive, so I'm going to go with the i3. Thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
@2008 andy vt