in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

Convert .wtv to .mp4 back to .wtv - Need help writing profile

Last post Wed, Nov 23 2016 1:49 AM by impetusdirection. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 8 2010 2:53 PM

Convert .wtv to .mp4 back to .wtv - Need help writing profile

First off, the reason I'd want to do this is to keep the native metadata from the original .wtv file, but convert from mpeg-2 to mp4 in order to save space.  I've been trying to do this for a while and can get up to the point of an mp4 or mkv file using a single profile, but that's where I'm getting stuck.  I don't know much about video editing, so I was hoping someone could help me.  I'm not sure how to manipulate the "context" items and frankly I'm just unclear as to what they are and what's happening when i manipulate them.  I also am completely lost on how to write or interpret regex.  In particular, the workflow I'm trying to achieve is 1) rename files, 2) convert to dvr-ms, 3) convert to .mp4, 4) convert to .wtv, and 5) copy metadata from dvr-ms to final .wtv file, 6) and then delete originalk .wtv and dvr-ms files.  I'm pretty sure these .wtv files won't be recognized in the "recorded tv" view in media center, but I should be able to view them in Media Browser with metadata.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, including sample profiles.  Commercial skipping would be a nice to have, but I really need help figuring out how to reconvert to .wtv and migrate the metadata (preferably everything happening with one profile).

Filed under: ,
  • Sun, May 9 2010 9:43 AM In reply to

Re: Convert .wtv to .mp4 back to .wtv - Need help writing profile

Attach the profile and I'll take a look.  They are stored in %Program File/DVRMSToolbox/Profiles.

• Sun, May 9 2010 4:05 PM In reply to

Here's the profile I have right now.  Works up to the .mkv file, then when calling todvrms.exe, I start getting errors.

http://cid-b3248cacd89b89fc.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

• Mon, May 10 2010 3:49 PM In reply to

I've attached an updated profile.  Give it a try and let me know.  Couple of things.

1.  I don't think you need to convert to dvrms (unless you want to) you are not using that conversion anywhere in this profile.

2. I have the "deletes" going to the recycle bin just for testing purposes.

• Sun, May 16 2010 11:43 AM In reply to

• netarc
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 8 2009

Curious whether you got this working - I thought DVRMS and WTV only supported the MPEG2 codec, so didn't think this was feasible?

• Fri, May 28 2010 9:41 PM In reply to

• toddos
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 28 2010

DVRMS only supports MPEG2, but WTV can hold H264 (one of the reasons for the format change).  If you don't plan to keep the intermediate format around, I'd recommend converting to MKV rather than MP4.  MP4 isn't supposed to support AC3 audio, but DVRMS, WTV, and MKV all do.  If you're starting from a MPEG2/AC3 WTV file, converting to H264/AC3 MKV and then H264/AC3 WTV minimizes the amount of reencoding (you still have to convert MPEG2 to H264, but the AC3 should just pass through).

For what it's worth, I was never able to get a good H264 encoding out of DVRMSTB.  Instead I use Handbrake to generate a MKV after getting an MPG file from DVRMSTB, and then convert the MKV back to WTV through DVRMSTB.

• Sun, Mar 17 2013 8:16 PM In reply to

I use Bigasoft WTV Converter which is also a professional WTV to MP4 Converter:

This professional WTV to MP4 Converter can easily convert WTV to MP4 or convert WTV to HD MP4.

Optimized by NVIDIA® CUDA computing technology, This WTV to MP4 conversion software accelerates conversion to revolutionary fast. It is just minutes to converting WTV to MP4.

Besides convert WTV to MP4 on Windows or Mac, This ideal WTV Converter can also convert WTV to other video formats including AVI, WMV, MPEG, MOV, MKV, FLV, F4V, 3GP, 3GPP, DivX, Xvid, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, ASF, H.264, RM, BIK, WebM, VP8, MOD, TOD, MTS, TS, 720p, 1080p, HD videos and more.

The powerful WTV to MP4 Converter for Mac or Windows is equipped with advanced editing function including adjusting audio volume, rotating video, adding audio track and subtitle for video, increasing artistic effects for video, adding image or text watermark for video, splitting video, merging videos into one, trimming and cropping video, capturing preferable picture from video and more.

Step by step guide on how to convert WTV to MP4 at How to Convert WTV to MP4, AVI, WMV and etc?

• Mon, Apr 22 2013 2:32 AM In reply to

You can also try WMV to MP4 I haven't done this in a long while, so do some research. Older software will still work, but might not be optimised to take advantage of more modern technology like multiple cores, etc
  • Sun, Jun 16 2013 11:47 PM In reply to

i recommend iDealshare VideoGo which can convert WTV to MP4, it also can convert WTV to AVI, WMV, MPG, MOV, MKV, VOB, OGV, FLV, RMVB, ASF adn et

• Thu, Jun 20 2013 4:15 AM In reply to

thanks for this valuable information. waiting for more from your end
  • Wed, Jul 31 2013 12:42 AM In reply to

all ways are help for me, thank you

• Mon, Dec 30 2013 7:12 PM In reply to

I prefer to use Video Converter Assist, which can also be helpful for you.It supports almost all video formats.

• Sun, Mar 16 2014 6:19 AM In reply to

Many people recommend Faasoft Video Converter. I'm using it too. Give it a try.

Here is a full guide about how to convert wtv to mp4 with this professional wtv converter.

• Wed, Aug 5 2015 8:29 PM In reply to

WTV file format is video is encoded with the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 standard and audio using MPEG-1 Layer II or Dolby Digital AC-3 (ATSC A/52). Son in order to convert WTV to MP4, you need a converter which can decde it. Cicever WTV Converter can convert WTV to MP4/AVI/WMV/MPEG/AVI/MP3 with no quality loss. You may try it.

• Wed, Nov 23 2016 1:49 AM In reply to

After testing all the so called WTV to MP4 converter, I find Avdshare Video Converter works great.

It can easilly and batch convert WTV video recordings to MP4 with high output video quality.

It also helps to convert WTV to other video or audio formats like AVI, MOV, MKV, WMV, MPG, RMVB, TS, ProRes, MP3, AAC, WAV, M4A, FLAC.

I find this great software from this article

http://www.avdshare.com/wtv-to-mp4-converter

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
@2008 andy vt