in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

Win7 Ultimate versus WinVista Ultimate, commercials, and convert from DVR-MS to MKV to DVR-MS

Last post Sun, May 16 2010 11:41 AM by netarc. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 5 2010 6:06 PM

Win7 Ultimate versus WinVista Ultimate, commercials, and convert from DVR-MS to MKV to DVR-MS

For background, I have a Windows Vista Ultimate computer and a Windows 7 Ultimate computer, and I record a ton of shows on both using Media Center. I use River Past Video Cleaner and DVRMSTools for video conversions.

On the Vista system, I don't recall doing a lot to get DVRMSTools working. It's good for batch work, and it's sometimes really good for commercial removal, depending on the TV station. On the Windows 7 system, I have to do several additional downloads to get DVRMSTools to work.

1) The ComSkip software on Vista seems to work a lot of the time. Sometimes it crashes. Sometimes it missed commercials or cuts the show as though it's a commercial. I can use it enough to save a decent amount of space. On Windows 7, it was always cutting part of the show and missing commercials. I don't know if there is anything that I can do. 

2) On Vista and Win7, I get really good results with Video Cleaner to convert DVR-MS files to MKV. The video is great and the files are 75% smaller. It's great.

My problem with converting to anything from DVR-MS is that a) I miss the control I get in Media Center with my remote control, and b) I miss the meta data regarding the show (title and description).

With DVRMSTools, I needed an additional codec, but it seems to work well. The DVRMSTools seems WAY more powerful because it's really scripted. What I would *really* like is to be able to convert to MKV to reduce the size and then convert back to DVR-MS with the metadata from the *original DVR-MS file. Is that even possible? If ahyone has done this and has a script, that would be awesome.

Thanks.

-- Rob "I" --
  • Mon, May 10 2010 7:21 PM In reply to

Re: Win7 Ultimate versus WinVista Ultimate, commercials, and convert from DVR-MS to MKV to DVR-MS

This is one of the aspects of tools like this that I hate: no real help. I see multiple posts *after* mine with replies. I guess that's to be expected with all the AVS banner ads posted all over the place leading people away from this site.

I guess I'll bail on commercial cutting since it doesn't work anymore, and stick with River Past Video Cleaner for the bulk conversions since there appears to be no way to keep the metadata from the original DVR-MS file in a DVR-MS -to- MKV -to- DVR-MS conversion process, anyway. At least with Video Cleaner, I don't have to edit a bunch of convoluted, obtuse config files.

I started with high hopes...

-- Rob "I" --
    Filed under: , , , ,
  • Tue, May 11 2010 4:36 AM In reply to

Re: Win7 Ultimate versus WinVista Ultimate, commercials, and convert from DVR-MS to MKV to DVR-MS

This thread is trying to do the same thing.

http://babgvant.com/forums/t/3297.aspx

Should be no problem moving the metadata.

• Fri, May 14 2010 10:29 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 3 2006
    • United Kingdom

WintelRob:

This is one of the aspects of tools like this that I hate: no real help. I see multiple posts *after* mine with replies. I guess that's to be expected with all the AVS banner ads posted all over the place leading people away from this site.

I guess I'll bail on commercial cutting since it doesn't work anymore, and stick with River Past Video Cleaner for the bulk conversions since there appears to be no way to keep the metadata from the original DVR-MS file in a DVR-MS -to- MKV -to- DVR-MS conversion process, anyway. At least with Video Cleaner, I don't have to edit a bunch of convoluted, obtuse config files.

I started with high hopes...

1. I have a job and other interests besides sorting out your specific needs.  This is one hobby amongst quite a few, sometimes this one doesn't get time.
    2. DTB is an automation tool intended to be flexible enough that it can accomplish most anything.  That flexibility is paid in complexity, if the tool is not easy enough for you to use that just means it's not the right tool for what you want to accomplish.
    3. Ads keep the site up.  Even bargain hosting isn't cheap.

• Sun, May 16 2010 11:34 AM In reply to

• netarc
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 8 2009

Thanks for the tip on the "river past vid cleaner" tool, I'll have to look that up - I have been using DVRMSTools to strip commercials and convert from DVR-MS to MPG, then Handbrake to convert from MPG to MKV/x264, but handbrake is a pretty manual solution, will have to check out river past.

I *think* DVRMS can be configured to convert from DVR-MS to MKV/x264 (using ffmpeg or x264?), so that the commercial stripping and transcoding can be done in one step (and automated, to boot!) but haven't been able to figure out the profiling necessary to do so.

re: control of the playing back MKV - I, too, miss the REW/FWD options with non-DVRMS formats ... MCE doesn't support MKV anywhere near as well as DVRMS.   But I don't think you can have it both ways .... DVRMS and MKV are "container" formats - each container uses a different codec to encode the video, DVRMS uses only MPEG, while MKV supports multiple codecs (typically AVC/h264, divx, xvid).  These latter three codecs are much more efficient at compresing files than MPEG, which is why you get a much smaller file.  But if you converted your MKV back to DVRMS, it would require transcoding back to MPEG, which would get you back to the near-original large file, you'd be back to where you started, with slightly less fidelity becuase of the two transcode steps (MPEG to h264 to MPEG).

re: metadata - I believe one can embed metadata into the MKV container, but again MCE will not render the info.  I make up for the loss of the metadata embedded in the DVRMS file by using media browser (launched from within MCE, and fully controllable with remote cotnrol), which uses its own mechanism to pull down metadata from thetvdb.com

• Sun, May 16 2010 11:41 AM In reply to

• netarc
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 8 2009

WintelRob:

Dude ... this is a _freeware_ tool, you have to keep in mind ... so you have to temper your support expectations; you've gotten several responses within a week, which is pretty dang good, imho.

Yes the tool is quite complex - but as babvgant had mentioned, it's also extremely capable.  I still don't fully understand all the nuances of DVRMSToolbox, I probably only understand ~30% of the tools, but I'm still getting some great use out of it.  It was a time investment to get things setup, but well worth it.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
@2008 andy vt