in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

todvrms.exe wtv to dvr-ms problem

Last post Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:39 AM by kenandy. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 21 2010 5:32 PM

todvrms.exe wtv to dvr-ms problem

I've tried converting several wtv files to dvr-ms using the todvrms.exe program, but it is only converting the audio. I end up with a dvr-ms file which is about 1/8th the size of the wtv file and is strictly pure audio and no video. After reading through many posts, I tried some older versions of todvrms.exe and got version 1.0.0.9 to work, but it has a problem with reporting the correct video length. I get sound and video and VLC media player can play it, but other media players freak out over the incorrect reported link and won't play it. For example I converted a 28:34 long wtv file and the dvr-ms file reports that it's 7:23:34 long. BUT it's really not and the video plays fine in VLC. I'm still running on Windows VISTA x64. So, my questions are, why does the lattest version of todvrms.exe only convert the audio and nothing else? And why does the older version (1.0.0.9) work, but puts an incorrect length of file tag on it?

Am I overlooking something simple? Any help would be much appreciated!

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:05 AM In reply to

Re: todvrms.exe wtv to dvr-ms problem

I don't think you did anything wrong, I have the same problem using ToDVRMS-1014 right now. Weird thing is I tried to use the wtvconverter that comes with Win7 and it output a .dvr-ms with video only, no audio. Now i'm trying what looks to be the only alternative (ToDVRMS) and its creating me a .dvr-ms with audio only, no video. Times like this it feels like I'm being punked :facepalm: Anyone have some insight into getting either of these tools working properly? I really just hate .wtv and I can't get anything to make me a decent .dvr-ms Using Win7 x64
  • Wed, Mar 24 2010 10:23 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • United Kingdom

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:16 PM In reply to

Just a quick update on my problem. I ran the lattest version of todvrms.exe and again same exact problem. I then reran it, without deleting or changing anything and on the 2nd run it produced a sketchy dvr-ms file which will play, but you can't fast forward, rewind, skip ahead, etc. and if you try the video playback restarts in both VLC and media player classic. If I run todvrms.exe a 3rd time in a row, I end up with a file of only a couple hundred bytes long which obviously has no audio nor video. Running more times results in various combinations of the results from the first 3 runs.

babgvant,  are you asking for the wtv file as a sample? If so, how can I send you the 1.6GB file most efficiently?

Thanks again for any help!

PS. I'm running Vista x64 still and not Windows 7 x64 YET. Since codemonkey had the same problem, it's a x64 problem?

• Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:20 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

If you're running TV Pack, I can't support that.
  • Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:46 PM In reply to

Video is MPEG2 and audio is Dolby_AC3 in the .wtv file, I have codecs to decode both. The .wtv plays fine in WMP and WMC but the converted .dvr-ms files are as mentioned above. I've no idea how to get you a sample of a .wtv file, I clearly can't convert it to anything even if I did lol. Here's the meda info on the two resulting .dvr-ms files MediaInfo from ToDVRMS.dvr-ms > http://pastebin.com/KjgsnTdx MedinaInfo from WTVConverter.dvr-ms > http://pastebin.com/k0hZEJBQ Also I found this odd, when opening them in vlc and looking at codec information I found this. http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/6272/weirdz.png Keep in mind the one on the left from ToDVRMS plays audio fine with no video, and the one of the right from WTVConverter plays video with no audio. Notice the differences in audio and video information? Both ran from the same .wtv file.
  • Fri, Mar 26 2010 10:36 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

try making a small (<500mb) wtv recording and see if the issue repros.  if it does I can provide an ftp site.
  • Wed, Mar 31 2010 9:03 PM In reply to

Sorry about the delay i was traveling and didn't have a chance to test it again, I made another recording and stopped it after a couple minutes so the size wouldn't get too big. PM or email the ftp site info and I'll get that uploaded for you. I did the same quick test again on another machine just to make sure it wasn't my setup somehow, the WTVconverter with Win7 gave working video and no audio and the ToDVDMS gave working audio but no video same as before.
  • Thu, Apr 1 2010 7:28 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

np.  pm'd the ftp details.

• Thu, Apr 1 2010 10:01 AM In reply to

Thanks, just completed uploading, hope it helps :)
  • Thu, Apr 1 2010 11:32 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

Thanks.  I'll take a look as soon as I can.

• Fri, Apr 2 2010 11:46 PM In reply to

Just a further update on my issue. I successfully converted a .wtv file to.mpg (mpeg 2) using graphstudio and the ATI mpg file writer, and then tried to convert that file to dvr-ms using todvrms and again no go. The command line box never closes and the resulting .dvr-ms file is short a few hundered KB and when I try to play it, the video looks fine, but truncated and the sound is out of synch by several minutes. The file tends to play for a few seconds and then stops also. Again, I'm running VISTA x64 with the TV pack. Would that make any difference on trying to convert files from mpg to dvr-ms?? 

Also, did anyone EVER successfully edit out commercials of a recording (dvr-ms OR wtv) on a VISTA x64 TV pack box?? Not just skip the commercials, which appears to work sporadically for me btw(in VISTA MC I can't find the DTB pluggin listed anywhere, even though I get prompted if I want to scan a file for commercials sometimes), but cut them out.

It seems like most video editing software I try doesn't work properly under VISTA x64(like videoredo for example) also. Is this a sign, I should just make the jump to Windows 7 x64, or is that going to be any easier? I guess, this is getting off topic from my original post though!

• Fri, Apr 9 2010 11:12 AM In reply to

I am having the same exact problems with converting .wtv to dvrms files using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  I have TimeWarner cable analog signal into a ATI TV USB tuner and have success on second or third try but have not fully tested playback of the new dvrms files.  they seem to be the correct size if I retry select all streams.  I checkec verbose mode and although a command window appears there is no text in it.  When todvrms finishes, the command window disappears.

• Wed, Apr 14 2010 6:22 AM In reply to

• poutnik
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 13 2010

hiphophampster:
     Just a further update on my issue. I successfully converted a .wtv file to.mpg (mpeg 2) using graphstudio and the ATI mpg file writer, and then tried to convert that file to dvr-ms using todvrms and again no go.
    could you, please, to give me some hints about it ? I have not achived yet any success in WTV2DVRMs or better direct WTV2MPG conversion in vista64 SP2 Premium + TV pack 2008. ToDVRMS ( 1.0.0.14) directly, ot through DVRMS2MPGToolbox+WTV 2 MPEG profiles do not provide from me usable files.
  • Wed, Apr 14 2010 9:11 PM In reply to

I'm not sure where to start, so I'll start from the beginning. You need a couple of ATI filters, "ATI MPEG Multiplexer" and "ATI MPEG File Writer". You have these if you have an ATI video card, but I think you can extract them from the latest ATI video drivers also. So, you don't need an ATI video card to have the filters installed I believe. You can download graphstudio.exe from several different places. I got my copy from the K-lite codec pack. You open up graphstudio.exe just by double clicking on it, or you may want to right click on it and "run as administrator" to make sure you don't have any issues. Click on "Graph" and then "Insert Filter" and go down the list until you find "StreamBufferSource" and click on it. Then click on the "Insert" button (lower right part of the Filter window). It will pop open a new window asking for the input file (Source Filter). Just click on the browse button to browse to your .wtv file, click on it and then click on the "open" button. Then click on the "OK" button on the "Source Filter" window. This should close out all of the windows except the "Filters" window. Next go through the filter list until you find the "ATI MPEG Multiplexer" filter and click on it and hit the "insert" button (on the lower right of the window). Next click on the "ATI MPEG File Writer" and click on the "insert" button again. It will open up a new window which looks just like the window opened up when you selected the "StreamBufferSource" filter, but this time just browse to a location you want to save the .mpg file to and type in whatever name you want for the file and make sure you end it in ".mpg" so you can play it easily when finished. Click on the "save" button which will take you back to the "Sink Filter" window and click on the "OK" button, which will take you back to the "Filters" window. Just close this window by hitting the red X in the upper right corner.You should now be back to the main GraphStudio window and see the 3 filter boxes. Locate the "StreamBufferSource" box. It should have 3 pins (look like little gray boxes on the right side of the box).  Right click on pin 2(the middle pin) and select "Render Pin". This should connect your filters and add some new filters(PBDA DTFilters) which will change the color of the filter boxes from gray to a blue-gray. Right click on pin 3(bottom pin) and select "Render Pin". You should now have both pins connected to the filters and ending in the File Writer filter box. Click on the green play button near the top left of the window. It doesn't say play, it's just the typical right pointing triangle play button. It should take a few minutes to process an hour long .wtv file. That should be it! When it's done, just browse to your output file to make sure it's there and you can play it fine. I've never had a problem converting .wtv files to .mpg files with this method. I haven't figured out how to automate it yet though, so I don't have to manually do this for every .wtv file I want to convert.

I hope this little unofficial guide is understandable. I tried to cover every single little aspect just to make it clear exactly what I did. I hope it's not too simplistic!

I just wish I could convert either the .mpg files or the .wtv files to .dvr-ms files so I can have media center manage them and still have all of the meta data attached to them. I'd also like to edit out commercials from the files. Right now I have to transfer the converted .mpg files to my Windows XP machine and edit them out with my old copy of videoredo, since for whatever reason in Windows VISTA X64 all the video editors I try don't get the timing on the cuts correct and they usually don't correctly finish processing the files either leaving them cut incorrectly and ending a few minutes short of where they should end. I wishi I knew why this happens. I guess I'm stuck until I upgrade to Windows 7 X64 Ultimate. I assume video editors work correctly in Windows 7 Ultimate X64. Anyone care to let me know if this is the case or not?

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
@2008 andy vt