in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

DTbVideoEditor - need quick tutorial for commercial strip

Last post Sat, Jan 16 2010 6:36 AM by grahamedriver. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 12 2010 12:41 PM

• glenn_n
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 12 2010

DTbVideoEditor - need quick tutorial for commercial strip

I hope someone can tell me a bit about the UI for DTbVideoEditor. I can hardly believe there is not one spec of documentation.

I am trying to use DTbVideoEditor to convert WTV file to MKV or other and strip the commercials when it converts. I am running on Win7, sorry, I cannot get to my computer and tell you version numbers of software, but all was current around 2 weeks ago.

So I have WTV files and ShowAnalyzer 1.x has done its magic.

I start DTbVideoEditor, select WTV input file. I see the first frame and the timeline with supposed commercial breaks found by ShowAnalyzer.

There is a checkbox that seems to imply it will strip commercial breaks and it is checked ON. Since nothing else makes sense to me, I click the Convert button.

The progress bar appears and no progress is ever displayed. However, after a few minutes, the progress bar disappears and I now have a short MKV file. Uh oh, the file only contains the first program segment, from time 0 up to first commercial break - it only converts 47 seconds!

How on earth can I get it to output all with commercials stripped?

Thx. Glenn

• Tue, Jan 12 2010 4:22 PM In reply to

Re: DTbVideoEditor - need quick tutorial for commercial strip

I don't have any specific instructions on the DTB Video Editor.  But you could use the DVRMSToolbox GUI, and select one of the profies that has already been created.

• Tue, Jan 12 2010 5:23 PM In reply to

You could try my profile. It'll strip the commercials from it then when you want, and then convert to mkv when you want, never having to leave media center.

Press '4' while watching the show the first time, and it'll strip the commercials. You'll see a shorter file. If you decide to, you can press 4 again and it'll convert it to mkv.

www.tinozplace.com/SpaceSaver.htm

If you don't have early access, wait till 1.2.2.0 comes out publicly.

• Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:13 PM In reply to

• glenn_n
    • Not Ranked

Thank you for usable ideas. However I'm new to this and I prefer to learn by doing some of these editing tasks manually. For one thing, ShowAnalyzer did a poor job on Big Bang Theory, using default settings, so I thought I should try to mark the commercial breaks manually.

I see that DTbVideoEditor can let me set the commercial breaks by hand, although the interface leaves much to be desired. So I created the commercial breaks, but still cannot tell how to use VideoEditor to output the fully stripped file.With my manually edited breaks, it created a WMV file (I changed from previousvery short  MKV),but it has no video content.

Also VideoEditor has controls that are unexplained. What is "Save EDL"?

I thought there would be some sticky topics in these forums that would tell us how to use the software!

• Wed, Jan 13 2010 11:01 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 3 2006
    • United Kingdom

EDL = Edit Decision List (a different way to store the commericals v. the xml file)

If you don't like the UI, the code is in SourceForge.  Download it and a copy of VS Express then fix it.  Submit the changes as a patch, and I'll add you to the EA group.

• Thu, Jan 14 2010 11:36 AM In reply to

hi

I am also having problems with DTbVideoEditor, I am also surprised and disappointed by the lack of documentation. I guess a GUI is supposed to be self explanatory but the way is works is a mystery to me. I am simply trying to top and tail a recording

I set the start and end of the desired section, or so it seems. The timeline thingy shows green, red, green. I tell it to convert and it either converts the whole thing or just from BOF to the set start point no matter I click.

I'd rather like to use this magnificent tool. I don't really want to be told to download the source, we aren't all up to that sort of thing, or maybe we don't all have time.

A little documentation please.

• Thu, Jan 14 2010 11:53 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

grahamedriver:

I don't really want to be told to download the source, we aren't all up to that sort of thing, or maybe we don't all have time.

A little documentation please.

This is a hobby, as such tasks are prioritized and completed in order of what I find interesting and/or challenging (i.e the fun stuff).  Writing documentation isn't fun, interesting or challenging (after all, I already know how to use it).  I can pretty much guarantee that writing docs for those who indicate that learning how to use it isn't worth their time isn't going to be prioritized anytime soon.

If you want documentation and a slick "intuitive" UI there are packaged solutions that are much better suited to your needs.

• Thu, Jan 14 2010 12:12 PM In reply to

One easy way to get some help here is to ask nicely instead of complaining.  Just simply state what you are having a hard time with, and usually someone will help you.  I had a hard time with converting an MKV to WTV for media center, and Andy quickly responded with what I needed. 

There are plenty of people here who are in the know of what to do.  And if you need help (just like me), just be nice and patient.  This is free software, and someone is spending their own time and money to develop for us. 

• Thu, Jan 14 2010 1:09 PM In reply to

• glenn_n
    • Not Ranked

Ahem. I started this thread, asked nicely, and never got an answer to my most important concern. I admint I made one complaint about the GUI.

Andy suggested I d/l the source and work on it. I might just go ahead a see if I can improve it - I would like to show a vertical line on the timeline that shows where the current video frame is found; I could also improve the functioning of the cut times in the upper right.

Anyway, since no one has told me how I can use DTbVideoEditor to output the entire video, minus the commercial breaks, perhaps someone can tell me how to glean this information myself. I would be happy to add to the FAQ and create a thread that the admin could make sticky. I know that documentation isn't fun, but it seems to me that collectively the users could come up with some useful docs.

And a request for all future code contributors - tool tips are really easy to add to GUI controls, and tool tips are often all the documentation that sophisticated users need. Without tooltips I have to ask seemingly dumb questions like "what is EDL?"

All the DTb software is really great stuff. I don't mean to criticise it, I want to understand and pass it along.

• Thu, Jan 14 2010 1:32 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

glenn_n:

Ahem. I started this thread, asked nicely, and never got an answer to my most important concern.

The problem you mentioned (short MKVs) should be addressed in 1.2.2.0 (it was documented in the release notes ;)).

glenn_n:

Andy suggested I d/l the source and work on it. I might just go ahead a see if I can improve it - I would like to show a vertical line on the timeline that shows where the current video frame is found; I could also improve the functioning of the cut times in the upper right.

FWIW, I didn't intend anything beyond what was written.  One of the great things about OSS is the potential for anyone to make it work the way they want.  

It's no secret that the UIs are sparse and I have little interest in moving them beyond "functional".  I would love it if someone with interest in usability would have a go at making them pretty and intuitive.

glenn_n:

And a request for all future code contributors - tool tips are really easy to add to GUI controls, and tool tips are often all the documentation that sophisticated users need. Without tooltips I have to ask seemingly dumb questions like "what is EDL?"

Completely agree on the tooltips.  Must have forgotten to add them to the VE.

• Thu, Jan 14 2010 1:42 PM In reply to

Glenn

I haven't had any real luck with converting WTV straight into MKV.  With that said, there is any easy way around it.  Inside of of DTBVideoEditor, open up a WTV files.  At the bottom you will see all your options.  You want MPG as your choice of container, and then make sure the video and audio codecs are selected as "native".  In the check list boxes, make sure "use cut list" is unchecked.  Then you can select the "create profile" button on the bottom right.  You can name it, give it a description, and then it deposits that profile into your DVRMSToolbox profiles so when you use the DVRMSToolbox GUI, its alreadt in there.  After doing that, I simply select the WTV to convert, turn it into an MPG, and then there is already a profile in DVRMSToolbox to convert to MKV.  

I don't know if this helps you, I really dont know anything about coding.  But it works for me.  Some people don't have any problems converting a WTV to MKV, some get stuttering.  Maybe its because I am using W7 x64 and not 32-bit.  Who knows.  Also, once DVRMSToolbox 1.2.2.0 comes out, you can use Abuttino's profile to automatically convert WTV files inside Media Center I believe.  I think I read it somewhere.  The cool thing about using DTbVideoEditor is that it doesn't have to use the "showanalyzer" program to remove commercials.  If you have just an MPG file, you can quickly add the cut points yourself, click the "use cut list" option, and cut commercials on your own.  The process takes me maybe 7 minutes per show.  The longest thing is the actual program cutting the commercials out.  So if I recorded 3 shows in one night, 21 minutes is nothing.

Jeff

• Sat, Jan 16 2010 6:36 AM In reply to

Hi again

Sorry to sound like a whinging Brit, but then that's what I am.

I really do appreciate the time and trouble which goes into these Open Source things,

In my case it is not because I can't be bothered, I am simply not at the level required.

OK so I have learned two things, the first is that the time line  should go red, green, red for my top'n'tailing (obvious when I think about it properly) and the second is that it doesn't seem to make any difference - still seem to get all or nothing.  And the third is that I can open the output file with Media Player to see where it is starting without waiting for the conversion  to finish.  I have extened my tail to cover most tof the file so it finishes much more quickly as I struggle to understand but it is still handy.

This EDL file, when I click save EDL I see the time-points get saved in it, so is this the the cut file I get the option to use?  or will clicking "use cut file" explicitly not use the EDL file?

The OP (I think) suggested a moving bar in the time line to show progress - this would be great for my current problem as I would be able to see it jump straight past the entry padding.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
@2008 andy vt