in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

Cut commercials out of a DVR-MS file and output DVR-MS

Last post Thu, Jan 7 2010 11:09 AM by babgvant. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 29 2009 9:26 AM

Cut commercials out of a DVR-MS file and output DVR-MS

I have just installed DVRMSToolbox 1.2 for Vista. I have managed to convert a dvrms recorded tv programme to MPEG using the DVRMSToolboxGUI with the 'DVR-MS to MPEG with Ffmpeg' profile. However when I try to use the profile: 'Cut out commercials convert to mpeg' I get the following error log:

Processing actions, this may take some time!!
    Run Profile = dvrmscutoutcommercials
    ProcessId = 472
    DvrmsToolbox Version: 1.2.1.8
    Throttle DVRMStoMPEG
    FWThrottle: C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\Death on the Nile_ITV 1_29_12_2009_12_48_09.dvr-ms
    WaitTime: 5 PollTime
    Waiting to process file
    Queue file
    Duration = 00:00:01.0087245
    Waiting for available worker: 29/12/2009 17:08
    Worker allocated: 29/12/2009 17:08
    Find Commercials in file
    Using comskip
    Running comskip this may take a while.
    Run C:\Program Files\DVRMSToolbox\Applications\comskip.exe "C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\Death on the Nile_ITV 1_29_12_2009_12_48_09.dvr-ms" "C:\Users\Public\DvrmsToolbox\CommercialsXml"

Finished Commercial Detectection
    No commercials found
    Action did not complete successfully
    Total Duration = 00:00:18.9187110

I really would appreciate some help with this problem.

Thanks in anticipation.

Geoff Cooper

• Tue, Dec 29 2009 12:25 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • United Kingdom

Re: Cut commercials out of a DVR-MS file and output DVR-MS

comskip didn't find any commercials in the file.

• Wed, Dec 30 2009 6:39 AM In reply to

Thanks for your prmpt response, but there are commercials in the original dvrms file, thats what I dont understand.

I checked before posting before posting.

Thanks Geoff

• Thu, Dec 31 2009 6:45 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  Comskip or ShowAnalyzer are used to detect commercials.  If they don't find any and there are commercials it's a tuning problem or an issue with whichever application you're using for detection.  You need to sort that out before DTB can remove them.
  • Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:49 PM In reply to

Dear Babgvant,

I have a related question for you.

I am using this profile in DVRMSToolbox 1.1.0.8 (for Windows XP MCE)... as I do not completely know how to use Vista, plus I don't wanna upgrade my software to Vista use (after a mess of problems I used to have, after trying to update my software version - some time ago).

I have been almost on-top of the version updates for ComSkip (latest version 0.8.30) and try to adjust the settings of that to my customization.

Everything is working just fine analyzing-wise, and btw. ComSkip is much better and much faster than any SA tool. The problem I've been having for a while is that after asking my .dvr-ms file to output commercials in EDL & a ...TB XML commercial file, is that when everything's detected commercial-wise and I am ready to cut them out with TB, nothing happens.

What I mean is, the processing is fine for detection and splices in DVRMSTB by percentages, but when asking for an output .dvr-ms file, it is the same duration as the original file - meaning no commercials were removed. This is really strange to me and has been ever since I first tried it again, but there seems to be a problem.

Please note my configuration settings and processes are now related to Windows XP MCE 2005 (SP3); and our cable provider plan converts all broadcasts back to analog supposedly... so I'm stumped.

I cannot even begin to guess what is wrong... the application, the Digital > Analog broadcasts, or some other idea. All I know is the detection works well, but the cutting does not work at all.

Please reply to me about this problem, and/or let me know if there is going to be a new version for XP. The alternative might need to be (for now) recording to MPEG-2/DVD if this is not fixed... and since I've only used your tools all this time, I am familiar with what to do.

P.S. When using another profile (some profile where it cuts and converts to MPEG - FFDshow or something (no quality loss)) in TB... the duration in the output is also the same. It is like when cutting or wanting to cut, it does not even recognize how to do so... because I have the same duration as to outputting .dvr-ms or .mpg, meaning no commercials were able to be skipped.

P.P.S. One more q. I see in the end of the process, "Worker Release: True" now... what is this and does it have a relation to my problem? If so, on all the above stated, please give me a recommended solution.

Thanks,

Gregory K

• Mon, Jan 4 2010 11:34 PM In reply to

Thanks for that,

Perhaps you could advise on how to identify if commercial skip is working?

If I need to re-install, how do I completely remove existing installation?

Thanks

Geoff

• Tue, Jan 5 2010 3:17 PM In reply to

Geoff,

Thanks for reading this, and possibly recognizing... as an additional member... the problems I am having.

I have a member for a few years, and uh, I am on-top of updates with ComSkip as well as TB. I am not an expert or administrator, however I may be able to help out; most of my few posts are directed towards babgvant, because I by the time I run into a problem, I need assistance and I count on the expert (babgvant) to recognize the problem.

That's me, for now, but your problem is easily fixable. The basic uninstall for any program is in your Control Panel, under Add/Remove Programs... where you find your program and change/remove it; another more advanced way to do this, is to download the Windows Installation Removal tool... and find your program there (normally under "All Users:...")...; and a third way to do this is to find a file shredder (I use freeware mostly, and brand-name titles only when needed), a decent one (likely found on www.download.com), and secure or permenantly delete the folder of the program from Program Files.

Then, if you're lucky, you will have no problem with re-installing your package (.msi or .exe) of the program itself. That's basically what you do.

Now, please re-read and/or direct my question that I posted to someone you may know/write-to on this community to hopefully post an answer to my question. I am quite sure that my question is a little more advanced than what you asked, but still needs answering for my solution.

* Just a note for you and potentional viewers: As stated, I am somewhat knowledged about what to do for most of these simple steps (which takes a fair amount of discovery time, no doubt), as I install, remove and navigate Windows' O.S. (when needed) and more importantly its software titles, among many other tasks at times.

My questions here are normally related to settings/configurations' issues or how-to(s) related to issues of TB.

My weaknesses are related to Command Prompt, script-writing or any other issue that I cannot deal with visually... as I work with GUIs.

I would be happy to advise or attempt to help other members as well, thanks for the idea...

I am not an exclusive member to this site, although at times I feel like this forum community is most helpful, but if you or many other members want to try a question to me... post a thread if related to here, or e-mail me at pcmix9250@gmail.com, and I will attempt to help out... that is, if primarily or most frequently during or after they receive assistance or a solution, they will mention or tell others about me (and my e-mail).

I only ask that all members or visitors e-mail me only if:

1. They have an unrelated question, seperate from this software and community forum

2. If they are not a member or are unable to post threads on forums (this one and/or any other forum site)

That's all you need to do, and believe me, this is a new idea for myself (btw, thanks for the suggestion, bro) and I would love to try it when I log-in or check e-mails. I also ask, to all, that e-mail amounts be reasonable - meaning 1 or 2 messages from the same person within 7, 10, or at most 14 days... as I easily get overwhelmed from too many messages piled up in general, in addition to a piling/piled up spam folder.

Thanks,

Gregory K

(pcmix9250@gmail.com)

geoff cooper:

Thanks for that,

Perhaps you could advise on how to identify if commercial skip is working?

If I need to re-install, how do I completely remove existing installation?

Thanks

Geoff

• Thu, Jan 7 2010 11:09 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

you need to tune comskip or SA.  see the respective forums for help with that.

uninstalling the app through program and features should work, if not there's a topic in the wiki for manually uninstalling

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
@2008 andy vt