Here's my quick and dirty set of instructions for Windows 7 x64:
1) Install the Windows 7 x64 drivers for the lcd from the included CD. See the pdf file on the CD for instructions. (Note carefully the need to sign the drivers and put your Windows installation into test mode)
2) Install the x86 (NOT x64) version of LcdWriter from this post. Extract the zip and run the setup program.
3) After restarting, open an elevated Command Prompt (click start, search for command, then right click command prompt and say "run as administrator."
4) type: cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\babgVant\LCDWriter" and press enter
5) type: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\regasm.exe lcdwriter.dll /codebase and press enter
6) Copy the file "LCD2USB.dll from the LCD Smartie v5.4 folder in the drivers to C:\Program Files (x86)\babgVant\LCDWriter
7) Open the LcdWriter config utility and go to the "Writer" tab.
8) Click "browse" next to the drop down list, and select "HD44780.dll" from the LcdWriter folder. Then select the option in the list with Lcd Smartie in the title.
9) Near the bottom, click "choose Lcd Smartie dll" (actual text may be different, going from memory). Select the "LCD2USB.dll" file you copied earlier.
10) Click save.
11) Restart, open Media Center, and enjoy LcdWriter!
Thanks to babgvant for all his work and an awesome program. Let me know if I'm missing anything