in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

The Famous "The Media Center commercial skip program has stopped responding and you will be returned to Media Center"

Last post Sat, May 2 2009 3:59 PM by eyalkattan. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 27 2009 11:12 AM

The Famous "The Media Center commercial skip program has stopped responding and you will be returned to Media Center"

Hi All,

Just finished a fresh install of Vista Ultimate x86 and after uploading every possible updated from windows UUpdate, I installed DVRMSToolbox (V1.2.1.6). Unfortunately I got this annoying error.

I tried to verify the keys, as well as follow the suggestions mentioned in older threads related to V1.2.0.6, but this didn't do the trick. Interesting fact is, i did another fresh install with Vista x64 on another machine and this one worked fine. When I launched the set-up utility, I got an alert about MCEState.dll not being registered and if I want to fix it. I clicked on yes and it worked perfectly.

However, for some reason the 32bit version doesn't work. I tried un-installing and re-installing (and rebooting in between) but to no availability.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

E.

• Wed, Apr 29 2009 10:03 PM In reply to

Re: The Famous "The Media Center commercial skip program has stopped responding and you will be returned to Media Center"

Any ideas at all?

Thanks,

• Thu, Apr 30 2009 8:23 AM In reply to

Re: The Famous "The Media Center commercial skip program has stopped responding and you will be returned to Media Center"

Just looked at the Event Log and I see the same exception thrown when ComSkip is trying to initialize:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        CommercialSkipAddIn
    Date:          4/30/2009 11:10:59 AM
    Event ID:      0
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      <computer name>
    Description:
    User: <user name)

Unable to uninitialize. System.ObjectDisposedException: Safe handle has been closed
       at Microsoft.Win32.Win32Native.SetEvent(SafeWaitHandle handle)
       at System.Threading.EventWaitHandle.Set()
       at babgVant.MediaCenter.CommercialSkipAddIn.CommercialSkip.Microsoft.MediaCenter.Hosting.IAddInModule.Uninitialize()

• Thu, Apr 30 2009 2:35 PM In reply to

Probably the best thing to do at this point would be to install- and reinstall. Detailed instructions here:

http://babgvant.com/Wiki/view.aspx/DVRMSToolbox/Do_A_Manual_Uninstall

• Sat, May 2 2009 3:59 PM In reply to

Thanks Burger, this solved the issue indeed.

Just out of curiocity, any idea what is going wrong with the first installation? It does smell like user privilleges tough (although I I have my UAC turned off)

Best,

Eyal

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
@2008 andy vt