in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

Newbie Question - FileWatcher creates two identical files

Last post Fri, Apr 3 2009 4:48 PM by OBXPirate. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 26 2009 9:10 PM

Newbie Question - FileWatcher creates two identical files

Greetings everyone.

This app rocks. Even though I'm really new to it, so far I have been successful at manual conversion from dvr-ms to mpg with comskip and some auto conversion using filewatcher.  I do have one problem I can not seem to resolve.

Here's what I'm doing:.

TV.dvr-ms  >manually to>  FW In \ TV.dvr-ms  >auto using filewatcher to>  FW Out \ TV.mpg  >sync using Windows Live Sync to>  Laptop \ TV.mpg.

• I Record and can play TV.dvr-ms in MCE2005 on my desktop.
    • I Can play FW In \ TV.dvr-ms in MCE2005.on my desktop
    • I Can play FW Out \ TV.mpg on my desktop in WMP11 if I double click it.
    • I Can not play FW Out \ TV.mpg from my desktop to the tv over the network (I can play other mpg files on the tv over the network)
    • I Can play Laptop \ TV.mpg on my laptop in WMP11 and on the tv over the network.

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out why I can not play from the MCE2005 desktop computer over my network even though the same file automatically sync'ed to the laptop plays fine.  I'm not convinced this is the problem, but I did find that if I search the desktop for TV.mpg, I get TWO FWOut \ TV.mpg files in the search results.  Both of them have the same properties and if I delete one in the search pane, they both disappear.  If I look at the folder in explorer, there is only one file.  But every test I run results in two identical files when I run search.  My tv documentation says that two files with the same name will cause the error I'm getting.

Is it possible that I am doing something wrong in DVRMSTb that would cause it to duplicate output files (names)?  If the gui is open (but not being used) could that cause this symptom?

This one has me stumped.

DVRMSTb is 1.2.1.6.  Filewatcher in default settings. PCE set for remove commercials (comskip) convert to mpg.

Desktop is MCE2005, XP Premium (x86).

Laptop is Vista Home Premium (x86) with VMC.

Network is 802.11n

TV is Pioneer Pro 151fd with Home Media Gallery.

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 12:40 PM In reply to

Re: Newbie Question - FileWatcher creates two identical files

I wouldn't rely on Search to tell you if you actually have two files.  Can you navigate to and find the files?

• Fri, Apr 3 2009 4:48 PM In reply to

Re: Newbie Question - FileWatcher creates two identical files

Thanks for the response.  I've got the dual file name part of the problem figured out.  Was a Live Sync issue.

I still have the problem however and I wonder if it is related to DLNA.  If I move a converted mpg file over my network to a second computer I can play it on the Pioneer Home Media Gallery (HMG).  If I try to play it from the desktop that recorded it in dvr-ms and converted it to mpg I cannot even though I can play the mpg file on that same desktop.  I can find no reason why it should play on the desktop and play in HMG from a second computer but not in HMG from the original computer.

Is it possible that there is some kind of meta data issue?  Does anyone know anything about DLNA?  I thought that WMP11 was fully compatible with that standard.

Filed under: ,
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
@2008 andy vt