in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

DVRMSToolbox in Windows 7

Last post Thu, Mar 26 2009 8:13 AM by abuttino. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 10 2009 12:19 PM

• ralydsm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 4 2007

DVRMSToolbox in Windows 7

I've got a couple of profiles setup to automatically convert my recorded wtv files to dvr-ms, and one for to automatically scan them for commericals in Windows 7. This is all working great. Unfortunately when I watch them in Media Center the commercials are not being automatically skipped. Does the add-in work in Windows 7? Or is there something I screwed up? Thanks for the help! Oh, I'm using the latest version, version 1.2.1.6 Public Release.
  • Sat, Mar 14 2009 6:43 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • United Kingdom

Re: DVRMSToolbox in Windows 7

The VMC addin doesn't work on 7MC; there is a 7MC addin in the EA section. 

Skipping works (minimally tested) but other things need to be taken out/disabled (i.e. video bookmarking) and the addin packaged in a more consumable (msi) package before releasing to a wider audience.  I haven't been spending much time in win7 because explorer keeps locking up (requires a reboot to fix), so motivation to get it sorted out has been lacking.

• Mon, Mar 16 2009 12:21 PM In reply to

• fishy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 15 2009

There is a known bug for the crashing explorer issue, and a fix:

http://www.blogsdna.com/2137/fix-windows-installer-explorer-update-has-stopped-working-in-windows-7.htm

I've tried the latest commercial skip under Windows 7 (the original relase from MS) and it worked fine for me if I already had the skip files created.

• Mon, Mar 16 2009 12:34 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

Explorer is hanging (becoming unresponsive), not crashing.  tearing down the process and restarting it doesn't resolve the issue, the only thing I've found (with minimal troubleshooting) that fixes it is rebooting.  There maybe other ways to address it, but I haven't found anything in win7 that is compelling enough to warrent a ton of effort to sort it out; so I'm going to wait until RC to start messing again.

The win7 addin does require 1.2.1.6 to be installed.

• Mon, Mar 16 2009 12:40 PM In reply to

• ralydsm
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 4 2007

does it require the EA version though? i thought i had the latest public release and it wasnt skipping past the commercials.
  • Mon, Mar 16 2009 12:47 PM In reply to

• fishy
    • Not Ranked

1.2.1.6 worked for me under 7. The only part I installed was the commerical skip plug-in, since my WHS box does the actual scan.

• Mon, Mar 16 2009 1:01 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

ralydsm:
    does it require the EA version though? i thought i had the latest public release and it wasnt skipping past the commercials.

to skip commercials in 7MC two components are necessary:

- public version of 1.2.1.6 (EA release will work too, but the public version is newer)
    - 7MC Addin (currently EA only)

• Mon, Mar 16 2009 2:25 PM In reply to

• fishy
    • Not Ranked

I'm not an EA member and don't have the 7MC addin, and 1.2.1.6 still worked for me. Skipping forward/back, turning on/off. All worked for me with just 1.2.1.6.

I had the same weirdness I have with Vista though, which is that sometimes it doesn't seem to start working for the first few minutes. It's like the add-in isn't even loaded, and then 3 minutes into the show it loads. As I say, same with VMC and 7MC.

• Thu, Mar 26 2009 8:13 AM In reply to

This add-in is EXTREMELY tempermental. If I go anything but the guide (menu system or anywhere in the menu system) it will go haywire and completely lose it's head and the only thing that recovers it is a reboot and re-register.

Also, when I follow the instructions (to the exact letter) the Comskip add-in's un-registration will completely screw up the whole thing and when I try to open DVRMS Settings it will start an installer. I had to leave it installed to use the skip functions in the other add-in, it's just unchecked in the Extras Library.

I have had a lot of time debugging this whole thing and it appears that you have to watch Live TV before the Comskip will activate to watch on Recorded TV. If I do ANYTHING in the menu system it'll screw it all up. I won't give up on this and will relay any information that I can give you.

Hopefully, it's just pressing STOP and then Live TV and then returning to the program, or just not messing with the menu system while watching a show.

I have tried to find logging to tell what's going on but I'll guess I'll have to enable logging from the registry to see exactly what's going on.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
@2008 andy vt