in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

Jitter in DVR-MS files created by ToDVRMS from VOBs

Last post Thu, Mar 5 2009 5:23 PM by bjdraw. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 17 2008 4:00 PM

• AlJones
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 9 2008

Jitter in DVR-MS files created by ToDVRMS from VOBs

I wanted to convert some ripped DVDs to DVR-MS format because it integrates into Media Center much better than MPEG (fast-forward/rewind, automatic download of cover art, etc), but I notice that the DVR-MS files play with a slight jerkyness on my Extender (Linksys DMS2200). If I rename the .VOB file to .MPG, it plays smoothly on the extender (though without the advantages of the DVR-MS format). That suggests that it's not a bandwidth issue, and the underlying MPEG video stream itself isn't the problem

I've found some comments that suggest that the problem is something to do with the Frame rate in NTSC DVDs, but no suggestions on how to fix the problem. I have a couple of PAL DVDs somewhere, but I haven't had a chance to test the process on them.

Am I missing something obvious,or is there a fundamental problem here with the way a DVR-MS file is packaged that can't be easily fixed?

Thanks

Filed under:
  • Tue, Dec 23 2008 3:06 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • United Kingdom

Re: Jitter in DVR-MS files created by ToDVRMS from VOBs

How do they play on the PC?
  • Fri, Jan 2 2009 6:04 AM In reply to

• AlJones
    • Top 500 Contributor

(I'm sorry, I was away for the holidays, I wasn't able to test this until yesterday).

They play just fine on the PC.

I've come across a couple of threads on TGB that may be relevant:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/270463.aspx

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/321015/ShowThread.aspx#321015

I haven't had a chance to try a PAL conversion yet. This weekend I'll do some more tests to comapre PAL conversions, and to see if VideoRedo exhibits that same stutter.

Thanks.

Filed under: ,
  • Sun, Jan 4 2009 7:30 PM In reply to

• AlJones
    • Top 500 Contributor

I found 2 PAL DVDs and I can't see any stuttering when I use ToDVRMS to convert the .Vobs.

So I  decided to use a tool called DVDPatcher (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDPatcher) to change the Frame rate in the header of some NTSC rips from 29.97 to 25.00, and, as far as I can tell, the stutter is gone when I play the .dvr-ms files on my Linsys Extender.

I really don't undestand what DVDPatcher is doing - I set it to use the same bitrate, the same horizontal and vertical resolution, and just change the Frame rate and it zips through the .mpg, and when I create a .dvr-ms file from that .mpg, there's no stutter.

The procedure that I'm using at this point is

1) DVD-Shrink to rip the DVD to .Vob files

2) Vob2mpg to "fix" the timestamps in the .mpg file.

3) DVDPatcher to set the Frame rate to 25.00

4) ToDVRMS to convert the .mpg files to .dvr-ms, because they work so much better on the Extender. (Fast-forward & rewind, DVD cover art and Cast info).

It's not as straightforward as I'd like it to be, but unless I've been very unfortunate in the test examples I picked, it looks like it's quicker to just follow this procedure for everything, than to figure out which ones don't work without it. 

• Thu, Mar 5 2009 2:49 PM In reply to

• bjdraw
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 1 2009

I'm trying the same thing, and having the same problem. The interesting thing is that when I play the mpg file back before I convert it to dvr-ms, there is no jitter. When you are using DVDPatcher to set the frame rate to 25, are you doing just the first frame, or the entire file?
  • Thu, Mar 5 2009 5:23 PM In reply to

• bjdraw
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 1 2009

Nevermind, I did the entire file and it worked. But I think using DVDPatcher is too much work so I created a custom profile that re-encodes with ffmpeg first leaving the audio in tact. The results are the same, but it does take a little longer to re-encode. The good news is that it is super easy for me to convert now that my profile does all the hard work.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
@2008 andy vt