in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

UseShare

Last post Tue, Feb 24 2009 4:28 PM by babgvant. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 25 2008 7:57 AM

UseShare

So does this work on WHS to properly set permissions for a WHS-hosted Recorded TV folder??

Thanks, Rick

• Fri, Apr 25 2008 11:52 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 2 2006
    • United Kingdom

Re: UseShare

it doesn't set permissions on anything, it lets network service (the account that the MC services run under) map network drives by executing net use with the arguments you provide.

if the account and path are valid, it will work on any folder that can be accessed via an UNC. 

• Sun, Jun 8 2008 11:20 AM In reply to

• vander1
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 30 2007

I have 2 media centers (1 Vista Home Premium and 1 XP MCE) that share recordings.  I set it up using a guide on The Green Button.  My XP machine works great.  On the Vista machine, the programs would show up in "recorded tv" but wouldn't play.  Also, if I would try to open the folder through My Network Places, it would ask me for a password even though it's supposed to allow anonymous logons, and I in fact can anonymously open it from another computer.  I can type anything I want in the user field and leave the password field blank, then it will open, and the videos will play in Media Center, until I reboot, at which time I'd have to do it again.  I had been without a solution till I found UseShare.  First I tried using "Net Use" to make sure my syntax was correct.  It worked!  But when I edited the XML file and put it in there just like I had used "Net Use", then rebooted, it doesn't work.   The service is started and also shows up in task manager.  But I still need to enter login information to access the share.  I was thinking that an easy solution would be to put a "net use" command in the startup.  I guess I was curious to know why you have this program running as a service instead of something that just runs when the machine starts up.  Also, any suggestions as to what I could try in order to make it work?  I really appreciate all that you do to help us Media Center users.  Thanks!

Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Jun 9 2008 7:32 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

the easiest thing would be to use the same user name /pwd combo on the two pcs.  otherwise, creating matching accounts on both pcs will work too. 

if you'd rather not do that, you can use net use to store credentials for the account (this is what use share does for network service).  a cmd file in your startup folder is the easiest way to do that. 

use share executes net use in the the context of network service (the account the MC services use) so it must run as a service.   

• Fri, Jun 20 2008 6:33 AM In reply to

• vander1
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 30 2007

For whatever reason, it works great for me to run the batch file to execute a net use command at startup, but the useshare service doesn't work, though it appears like it's running fine.  I'm happy - my problem is solved (I never would have thought of using "net use" without coming across your program).  I've done enough other things to try to get it to work that I may have messed something up which makes useshare not work the usual way.  Anyway, thanks for your help.

Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Jun 23 2008 5:13 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

that's odd... c'est la vie :)

• Tue, Dec 9 2008 11:47 PM In reply to

Hi

I'm trying to use this now, and it says that it can't start a service from a command line or debugger.  Am I doing this wrong or is there a different way to share Recorded TV between two VMCs?    I've been fighting with this all week, but can't seem to get any method to work.

Allen

Have a great day!
  • Wed, Dec 10 2008 6:58 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

you need to install it (run installutil path to exe) then start the service.
  • Sun, Feb 15 2009 7:01 PM In reply to

I have install useshare and I having some trouble getting my recorded tv to show the network location recorded tv.
    I had it install before I had to re-install VMC and it used to work fine, now I can't seem to get it work.
    If I take the information in the value section of the config file and paste it into the cmd prompt with net use it works fine. Is there any other debugging that I can do to troublehoot this?

• Tue, Feb 24 2009 10:32 AM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

if memory serves use share writes what it does to the event log.  see if there's anything useful there.
  • Tue, Feb 24 2009 2:42 PM In reply to

I ended up reloading my VMC because I could not get it to work. It seems to be working since the reload.
    What program would you recommend using to move the recorded tv to the nas drive?

• Tue, Feb 24 2009 4:28 PM In reply to

• babgvant
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • United Kingdom

DVRMSToolbox
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
@2008 andy vt