SageMCTuner - Experimental Release

SageMCTuner is a Windows Service that runs on a Windows Media Center (MC) machine to enable SageTV to use MC's tuners as Network Encoders.

Included in the zip are the following files:

• install.cmd: run from an escalated cmd prompt to install the service
  • uninstall.cmd: run from an escalated cmd prompt to uninstall the service
  • SageMCTuner.exe: service executable (platform independent)
  • SageMCTunerConfig.exe: config tool (x86)
  • SBEConvert.exe: SBE->MPEG-TS (or MPEG-PS w/ custom muxer) converter (x86)
  • SageMCTunerLib.dll: shared library (platform independent)
  • channelMap.xml: if necessary SageTV channels can be mapped to MC channels using this file

After the service is installed and running (don't forget to configure your software firewall to trust the exe), configure SageTV to use it as a network encoder.

Below is the block of text I added to my sage.properties file.  Note that the encoder number (12345) must be unique, so if you have another tuner with this number change 12345 to something else.  Also note that when encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream SageTV will ask for a .ts file, if a custom muxer is used that writes MPEG-PS (.mpg) files change this value to true.

mmc/encoders/12345/100/0/available_channels=
mmc/encoders/12345/video_capture_device_name=MCTuner1
mmc/encoders/12345/video_capture_device_num=0
mmc/encoders/12345/video_encoding_params=MPEG2 Max Quality
mmc/encoders/12345/video_processor=
Published Oct 19 2009, 08:09 PM by babgvant
Filed under: ,

Comments

brent said:

I so wish I had a CableCard tuner to test this.  I'll be watching closely to see how the testing goes.  Great work Andy!!!

October 20, 2009 8:39 PM

bigpunk said:

Andy

I wonder if you could use the SageMCTuner to makes softshed work? Looks like you are half way there. Example you have the SageMCTuner installed on a computer without any tuners and it uses the SageMCTuner to tell the computer with the tuners to record the show then share out the recorded tv folder. This is the only missing peace to have softshed.

October 21, 2009 6:17 AM

Brent:  I wish I had a DCT to try it out w/ :)  Hopefully Centon (or someone) will announce a dual for <=$200 soon.

Bigpunk: Why would I build SoftSled when there's SageTV?  BTW, MC will only see remote TV after it's done recording (so that won't work).

October 21, 2009 6:44 AM

SageMCTuner Brings CableCARD Support Unofficially to SageTV | eHomeUpgrade said:

Pingback from  SageMCTuner Brings CableCARD Support Unofficially to SageTV | eHomeUpgrade

October 21, 2009 4:02 PM

The Digital Media Zone » Blog Archive » SageTV Gets Unofficial CableCard Support said:

Pingback from  The Digital Media Zone  &raquo; Blog Archive   &raquo; SageTV Gets Unofficial CableCard Support

October 21, 2009 5:26 PM

GollyJer said:

Am understanding this correctly?

1) CableCard looks like it may finally become a realistic recording option.

2) Windows Media Center will support CableCard, SageTV will not.

3) SageMCTuner will attempt provide SageTV access to CableCard tuners "hosted" by WMC.

November 4, 2009 10:57 AM

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

November 4, 2009 11:17 AM

masonboswell said:

Is this okay with dual ATI OCUR cards?  I am currently set up with WMC7, but am so fed up with the problems that I want to switch over to SageTV and try this (lack of CableCard has held me back).  My current tuner setup includes 2 dual Hauppauge PVR-500MCE cards (analog cable), 2 dual Silicondust HDHomeRun boxes (clear QAM), and 2 ATI OCUR cards (CableCard), for 10 tuners total.  I've been a Media Center user since the very first beta, but after 6 years I'm tired of waiting for simple recording and playback to work right.

November 9, 2009 12:30 AM

It should handle multiple tuners just fine, but I haven't tested it.

November 9, 2009 10:27 AM

air1dpt said:

I am considering purchasing a Russound SMC 35. I would like to help beta test this experimental release with this HTPC.  Would I need to upgrade from Vista to W7?  Do you forsee a problem with the OEM cablecard tuners that Russound uses?

December 15, 2009 8:04 PM

The implementation is tuner agnostic (it was developed using QAM/NTSC tuners in MC), but chances are that box uses ATI DCTs which have been tested - www.missingremote.com/index.php.

It is important to note that this is an experimental project.  It is quite possible that there will be a blocking issue that I will not be able to work around.

Either Vista or 7 should work as the host OS for the DCTs as long as it's CableCard ready.

December 16, 2009 6:56 AM