in

andy vt's tools & blog

automating lazy

This Blog

Syndication

andy vt's blog

FWChannelProxy

FWChannelProxy is a SageTV channel tuning pluggin that wraps calls to timmoore's channel.dll for changing channels on the STB via firewire.

Note, that this package doesn't include the drivers necessary to make the STB device work over firewire.  I used this driver package, to get the device installed.

Installation steps:

  1. Shut down SageTV (service and client)
  2. Extract the dlls to the SageTV Common folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\SageTV\Common)
  3. Rename FWChannelProxy#.dll (the included file is FWChannelProxy2.dll because that's what works on my system) where # is the device number obtained by running channel.exe -v (the panel device)
  4. If changing an existing tuner, open the sage.properties file and find the entry for the tuning_pluggin and change it to the path to  FWChannelProxy#.dll
  5. Create copies of FWChannelProxy#.dll and rename as appropriate for multi-tuner systems.
  6. Start the Sage service
  7. Try to change a channel

Troubleshooting:

  1. Stop the service
  2. Create a file called  FWChannelProxy#.log in the Common folder (e.g. FWChannelProxy2.log)
  3. Restart the service, open the client and change the channel
  4. The dll will log it's actions, create a thread in the Sage Tools forum with the log.

bin

Published Jan 22 2009, 05:54 PM by babgvant
Filed under: ,

Comments

 

brent said:

Nice!  So what cable box do you use this with?  I have a SA 4250HDC that I've tried to set up firewire channel changing on and never got it to work.  Gotta try that again some day soon.

January 22, 2009 8:09 PM
 

babgvant said:

I have a Motorola DCH3200; which requires the -f (channel.exe doesn't recognize it as a supported device) argument, so the proxy dll always passes -f (can't hurt, right :)) so it should work (as long as your STB is recognized by Windows).

January 22, 2009 8:37 PM
 

GollyJer said:

Is there a benefit to this technique over using exeMultiTuner?

I've got it working great with 3 Motorola 6200's at my place and two Motorola DHC3200's at a friend's house.

I assume you still need to create the registry entry.  And, I guess this is one less step as you don't have to mess around with .ir files.  Hmm... did I answer my own question? :-)

January 27, 2009 2:02 PM
 

babgvant said:

No registry changes and no ir files.  The device number is driven off of the # at the end of the file.

January 27, 2009 2:28 PM
 

GollyJer said:

Cool.  I was about to ask "if no registry entry then how does it know what string to use?"  Then I read you last comment.  I'm gonna give this a try tonight as it should make future setups a couple steps smoother.  Thanks man.

January 27, 2009 5:02 PM
 

babgvant said:

Let me know if you have any problems.  I only have one STB, so I don't have a way to test it in a multi-tuner scenario.

January 27, 2009 6:43 PM
 

GollyJer said:

Hey man.  I just wanted to let you know I set this up with three Motorola 6200's last night (yeah, took me a while to get to it) and it worked great.

This makes setting up multiple firewire tuner channel changing infinitely simpler than ExeMultituner.

Thanks Andy.

-Jeremy

February 10, 2009 1:56 PM
 

babgvant said:

np.  Glad it worked out.

February 10, 2009 2:10 PM
@2008 andy vt
Powered by Community Server (Non-Commercial Edition), by Telligent Systems