After adding a second ATSC tuner a few weeks ago, I started having a problem where my guide data would disappear every day or two. As you might guess the overall SAF went down in direct proportion to the number of shows not recorded. After getting some help over at TGB the following approach has kept my guide updated, and the family happy.
- clear guide: delete prefs files, and epg xml files from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\EPG
- download guide, let it auto map all the atsc channels; it's very important to just let media center think it knows best at this point don't do any unnecessary mapping yourself, that will be addressed later
- manually add 1091 with proper physical channels and name (WGN); the atsc channel data is wrong when it comes down initially
- manually add sub channels 5-2, 7-2, 7-3, 11-2, 11-3, 11-4 and map guide data where available
- hide 1191
- manually add sub channel 11-5 as a placeholder in the atscprefs.xml file
- close mediacenter, shutdown mediacenter services
- edit atscprefs.xml changing channel 11-5 callsign to "WTTWDT", userAssignedName to "WTTWDT", and minor to 1; in Chicago 11-2 is the equivalent of 11, not 11-1
- edit atscprefs.xml change channel 11-2 callsign to "WTTW", and userAssignedName to "WTTW"
- restart mediacenter services
I did not have to hide the original 11-1 from atscchannels.xml; media
center did that automatically, it also automatically assigned the
correct guide data to 11-2 and 11-1 when it started back up.
Thanks to Richard A Miller and dmagerl for working this out with me.